Discuss More flues in Voids - Gas Safety Cert in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Foodface

Got myself in a pickle, did a safety check on a brand new Worcester combi with a vertical flue going up through a small concealed loft space. No access hatches, completed the rest of the test and AR'd it informing the letting agent that they need to put in access hatches. I turned the boiler off, warning notice and stickered it.

Landlord has had someone put to quote for access hatches costing 100's of pounds, now they are kicking off and the boiler has been switched back on as I took fuse out of spur, but has been replaced.

Is there anything else I can do? As I'm worried about any further come repercussions.

Thanks

Foodface

Did you get a signature on the warning notice? If so, and they have chosen to ignore it and replace the fuse, you're OK in my opinion.

Got myself in a pickle, did a safety check on a brand new Worcester Why are YOU in a pickle? Provided you completed the documentation, then job done. The big question is which idiot, in the current climate, fitted it recently?

You have done what is required of you, following Industry procedure. Depending on how strongly you feel, as you may need to nurture your relationship with the landlord for further work. You could inform The HSE of the situation, as this is a hot topic for them they might take action against the landlord.

how deep is the roof space - if the flue passes through in one piece no joints eg boiler in corner of bungalow and vert flue passes through without a joint that's ok

how deep is the roof space - if the flue passes through in one piece no joints eg boiler in corner of bungalow and vert flue passes through without a joint that's ok
he wouldnt know, there was no access:yesnod:

Didn't the Bee Gee's sing "How deep is your roof space?". Would have replied sooner but been a busy day (spent two hours in plumb center waiting to be served). I'm going back next week to hopefully put an access hatch by the flue terminal and then one a story up, as it goes through one story.

It's always in new builds where I come across this problem (sure there are older installs too) but I kind of feel like we have been sold up the river in the sense of I flagged one up two weeks before the regs came in to force and the customer rang gas safe as it was a 1 million pound grand designs type house. They were well miffed, apparently Gas Safe told them not to worry about it if I turn it off as I need their permission anyway (which I did when I returned in the new year) and they can just turn it on again.

Which begs the question, if you are going to turn something off or take a fuse out knowing that customers will turn it on again then why are the regs there if we have no powers to enforce them?

Personally I think it's a good idea to inspect the flues in voids as there are too many arse holes about putting in shoddy work but wish gas safe would make more information clearer for the public. Saves getting into pickles when working in new builds.

Its about coving your bum. If the responsible person for the premises ignores your warning notice, it is at their periled if it harms someone. Don't worry about it, as long as you have documented and followed the industry procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to More flues in Voids - Gas Safety Cert in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
Hi I’ve got a couple of gas safety checks coming up and I’m a bit confused as to whether I need to tick yes or no to the appliance serviced part...
Replies
Views
So I was doing a gas safety landlord check on a vaillant ecotec 835 and the meter was so far away from the flat that by the time I got there the...
Replies
Views
GID1 Essential CORGI Gas Safety Manual - best selling 'foundation' gas installer manual continues to be an essential 'on the job' technical...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock