Search the forum,

Discuss Monobloc ceramic-cartridge tap turns the 'wrong'way in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Just replaced my ageing basin and bath taps and wastes with appropriate Bristan equivalents. All but one have conventional valves; , the one exception – a N SNK EF C 1901 Easyfit Kitchen Sink Mixer monobloc – has ceramic cartridges and both H and C turn the ‘wrong’ way (clockwise to turn on). This may be by design, e.g. Bristan repurposing cartridges from lever taps, but has (justifiably…) upset my wife and I am in the doghouse. Can the cartridges be rejigged or even changed, or must I accept this counter-intuitive bit of design?

Swap them around eg hot in cold and cold in hot then adjust the handles to match vis the splines

The cartridges fitted were both Hot cartridges, and these turn on clockwise. Reversing the cartridges on the two sides will make no difference. I had a chat with Bristan who confirmed that ‘clockwise is ON’ cartridges are fitted to these taps by design. (Apart from direction of turn and a coloured band on the base, there is no other difference between between H and C cartridges)

Dissecting a cartridge shows that the cartridges are built for H or C and there is no magic pin or whatever that can be switched around to change the direction of ON/OFF.

Bristan are aware that some customers who also have conventionally-valved monobloc taps (which, like single conventional taps, gate valves and the like are ‘anticlockwise is ON’) may find the difference confusing and they will sell a pack of two C valves for £17.41 (their SKU 2701225300). I have stumped up, fitted them and peace reigns in the household.

I had always assumed that the cartridges were marked blue for cold and red for hot. I learned this week that the colours are just to differentiate clockwise from anti-clockwise operation. There are no differences mechanically in the cartridges, only the direction of operation. This may not be news to old hands but it was to me!

The cartridges fitted were both Hot cartridges, and these turn on clockwise. Reversing the cartridges on the two sides will make no difference. I had a chat with Bristan who confirmed that ‘clockwise is ON’ cartridges are fitted to these taps by design. (Apart from direction of turn and a coloured band on the base, there is no other difference between between H and C cartridges)

Dissecting a cartridge shows that the cartridges are built for H or C and there is no magic pin or whatever that can be switched around to change the direction of ON/OFF.

Bristan are aware that some customers who also have conventionally-valved monobloc taps (which, like single conventional taps, gate valves and the like are ‘anticlockwise is ON’) may find the difference confusing and they will sell a pack of two C valves for £17.41 (their SKU 2701225300). I have stumped up, fitted them and peace reigns in the household.
Thank you for this bit of info, fed up with soaking ourselves, its been two years and none of us has got the hang of righty tighty lefty lucy being reversed. It goes against the natural order of the world 😂

Some cartridges you can dismantle and then remake them to operate the opposite way around - I first discovered this by mistake of course!
Have a tinker.

I suffered from this, too and may wife (and I) was furious. I rang up and gave Bristan a hard time and they caved in and sent replacement cartridges for free. It may have helped that I bought the entire tap as a replacement from Amazon and told them I'd send it straight back if they were so stupid as to arbitrarily change the on/off action of taps when almost every other tap in the UK (well in our house at least) worked the opposite way without at least making it very clear. I was only changing the tap because I was always having to strip down the old valves, having already replaced the them twice in just over ten years. Useless idiots!!

Reply to Monobloc ceramic-cartridge tap turns the 'wrong'way in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock