Search the forum,

Discuss Mains Gas Supply Pipe Repair in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I was using a mini excavator in the front garden and cut the mains gas supply (website with gas location had it in the wrong place, but a disclaimer saying their info might be inaccurate - the engineer said it was probably moved when they changed the pipe to the new plastic sort).

1 Cadent engineer arrived at 10:00(approx) and said it was severed and he couldn't work on it alone. He sat waiting in his van for his colleagues; he left about 14:00.
2 Cadent engineers arrived (separate vans) at 12:00(approx) to fix the leak and left about 13:30.
The length of pipe was less than 1 metre, the pipe was already excavated 95% by me. They inserted replacement pipe from an offcut in their van and plastic-welded it together, checked the gas flowed to the house and left.

Does anyone have a recent cost that I could use to estimate with? Everything I've seen online is years old.

They might not change you but it might be around 650-1k if they do

We had a similar one when they were digging for a new water main on my last job. They spoke about charges but as no figure was given the customer never got a bill, so unless they told you a price, fingers crossed it won't be billed.

Lucky escape on both counts - not having a more serious outcome hitting the pipe and not being charged too much for putting it right.

How deep was it buried?
At the point it left the public footpath near our house it was estimated at 50cm, however the footpath is higher than our house, with the garden sloping down towards the house.
The excavator did not touch the pipe, the tree root growing around the pipe sheared it as the excavator pulled the tree up.

Cadent provide 3-pages of "Damage Claims - FAQ" with their invoice that, summarised, say
"We'll charge you, you pay it, regardless."
The FAQ list includes the good-old-favourites (paraphrased, and shortened):
  • Your engineer told me I wouldn't be charged.
    • We decide, not them.
  • What is the statutory depth?
    • There is none, only guidance, and
    • Pipes may have been moved, or the ground above lowered, after laying.
  • There was no warning tape or sand above it.
    • We don't have to do this.
  • The gas service pipe isn't on my drawings.
    • Service pipes aren't shown on drawings, dig to find them.
  • Why aren't the pipes in a straight line?
    • They are laid how the fitter thought they should have been laid.
  • My gas supply was already disconnected.
    • Cadent still own the apparatus, we'll charge if we think there's damage and
    • We'll charge if a non-Cadent gas engineer does anything, so we can check their work.
  • Why does Cadent send so many engineers?
    • We'll send a First Call Operative to tell you it's dangerous, and then
    • We'll send a team, separately, to repair the damage, and
    • The First Call Operator will stay until he wants to go, payable even if he's just standing around.
  • I've been invoiced for something that happened AGES ago.
    • Unfortunate, pay anyway.

Pay the bill and think yourself lucky, soon it will all be a funny story to tell in the pub.
Sometimes diy costs more than getting someone in, but you’ve also had fun on the digger - not much better things to spend £80 on to be honest!

It happens even to pros which I suspect you're not as you'd have public liability insurance but I'd really be more grateful the repair didn't really cost too much and the fact that you "helped" may have been reflected in the price. Nonetheless they were in end finished by lunchtime and you could carry on working.

You're still entirely responsible for not taking enough care when pulling up the tree even though the consequences of doing so may not have been entirely anticipated.

Pay the bill and think yourself lucky, soon it will all be a funny story to tell in the pub.
Sometimes diy costs more than getting someone in, but you’ve also had fun on the digger - not much better things to spend £80 on to be honest!
Still cheaper than getting someone in.

Cheapest quote was £1800 for what I wanted.
Digger was £400 (1.5T digger add fuel, insurance, delivery and VAT on top of their £180 advertised price).
Skip was £210 for 8 yard maxi builders skip.
£1 for a set of matches to make 2 bonfires.

Gas pipe repair at £390 still gives me a saving of £799 approx.

It happens even to pros which I suspect you're not as you'd have public liability insurance but I'd really be more grateful the repair didn't really cost too much and the fact that you "helped" may have been reflected in the price. Nonetheless they were in end finished by lunchtime and you could carry on working.

You're still entirely responsible for not taking enough care when pulling up the tree even though the consequences of doing so may not have been entirely anticipated.
public liability would not cover this claim if it was his own property. That might be covered under house insurance. Culpable neglect would be a primary consideration in this claim

Reply to Mains Gas Supply Pipe Repair in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock