Search the forum,

Discuss Leaky kitchen faucet in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I have noticed the hot water faucet under the kitchen sink is leaking. It seems to be leaking underneath the cupboard.

The flexible connection was recently changed.

Also there is a portable washer that is being connected to the sink sometimes. I am not sure if this has anything to do with the leakage though.

What could be the cause for this leakage?

Should I replace the faucet cartridge or the flexible connection? Or both?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Faucet.jpg
    Faucet.jpg
    626.3 KB · Views: 12
Hard to tell exactly where it’s leaking from, but there should be a washer between the tap and it’s base, eg worktop, or if it’s the flexible connection, either needs tightening up or the washer is damaged.
Thanks for the reply ChrisB1982.
How do I replace the washer?
I will try tightening up the flexible connection. Do I need the specialty basin sink wrench or can I do it with something else.

For the flexible connection a standard adjustable wrench ought to do it. As for the anti rotation washer in between, the white nut might be hand tight or use a wrench of some sort.
ChrisB1982,
The washer you are talking about - where exactly is it located? Is it under the faucet cartridge or is it between the white plastic nut and the counter?

In order to replace it, do I need to replace the faucet cartridge as well?

No you don’t need to replace the cartridge unless that’s leaking. The anti-rotation washer is just under the base of the tap where it connects to the counter - but this only needs doing if this is where it’s leaking from up top and getting underneath.

No you don’t need to replace the cartridge unless that’s leaking. The anti-rotation washer is just under the base of the tap where it connects to the counter - but this only needs doing if this is where it’s leaking from up top and getting underneath.
So the washer is right between the white plastic nut in the picture and the wood, correct?
If you look at the attached picture, lower right-hand side corner, you'll see the piece of wood that is wet from this leakage.
When the washer is connected and the hot and cold water taps are open, when I get very close to the hot water tap and listen, I can hear some little hissing sound coming from inside the tap. This happens when the water is not flowing into the washer, but the hot water tap is still open.
I think when the washer supply valve is closed, but the hot/cold water taps are still open, due to weak link (in cartridge, washer or flexible connector) it starts leaking more.

Attachments

• Pic10.jpg
    Pic10.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 4
I have tightened up the big white plastic nut. I also tightened up both ends ot the supply line.
Now, when I use the sink and stop the water, there is leakage that goes where the cartridges are. It appeares on top of the counter and I need to soak it. It last for about 5-10 min, then stops.
Something that I have also noticed - after this leakage has stopped, if I turn on the water, it takes about 1-2 seconds before water goes through. As if the spout is empty - that has not happened before.

Reply to Leaky kitchen faucet in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock