Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking lockshield gatevalve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heys guys, looking for some help with a job i got today.

The problem i'm having is that as soon as i open the valve, water leaks from the spindel.

Normally easily fixed by re-packing the gland with PTFE. But these valves don't have gland nuts. There are a few of them throughout the school i'm working in and they are all the same. Never had to fix one of these before so i'm hoping someone can shed a little bit of light on it for me.

Cheers.

I presume you are talking about radiator lockshield valves (these are NOT gatevalves). Actually not many lockshields do have gland nuts and packing in the traditional sense like stopcocks.

Usually its o-rings, but you are as well to whip them off and put new valves on as mess about chaning the o-rings.

Last edited:
Herz_Valves_UK_Compression_lockshield_gate_valves_1.jpg

No, it's very similar to this except 35mm and about 30 years old. When i unscrew the shield i can see to the spindle but no packing gland.

yeas Ive had this before, undo the shield, turn off the valve/adjust then replace the shield, as soon as youve replaced that the leak stops?.

No the only way it stops is to shut the valve, with or without the shield. Thought maybe someone would know a way to repair it without having to do a drain down and renew.

Ah one of those - generally just whip em off and put new ones on - usually gunked up inside anyway.

the lockshield is the packing gland on this type of valve theres no stuffing box to hold packing the lockshield forces a wedged shape brass ring down the shaft which is why you should have a3way key for turning them on and of as taking the lockshield of can disturb the seal

have you at least tried to stop it with a bit of loctite 55? i never use ptfe for this as one turn of the valve and it leaks again

When i got there the janitor had already taken the lockshield off to try and tried to fix it himself. It leaked with or without the lockshield so i just replaced the valve today. Cheers guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking lockshield gatevalve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock