Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking Flue pipe from Boiler in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Had a plumber come round today to service our boiler and it turns out he's had to turn it off as unsafe due to some water leaking on the outside of the flue pipe. At the time the plumber said that the instillation was done terribly and that if I really wanted I could report the job as unsafe to some sort of health authority (I forget the name). I don't plan on doing this but I also don't want to have to pay again for the company to come fix the job that wasn't done right in the first place. Was just trying to understand if leaking flue pipes were seriously dangerous / common?

I have a Combi boiler that was installed in August 2019. Don't think the boiler is covered by any kind of warranty.

Be keen to get thoughts

Any pictures of what he’s found ?

Any pictures of what he’s found ?
Thanks for replying, attached two photos, can see the water lines on the flue pipe on the first and then just grabbed on above the ceiling

Attachments

• 20210302_202940.jpg
    20210302_202940.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210302_203003.jpg
    20210302_203003.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 31
Leaking flues are very dangerous and your engineer was only doing his job, this will need sorting by a GSI I'm afraid . Kop
Sorry but what do you mean by GSI?

They're coming back tomorrow to fix the flue pipe and the work they did first of all but nervous about paying a bill for them fixing something which was done dangerously the first time.

Thanks for replying, appreciate it!

What’s written on the fittings ?

Sorry but what do you mean by GSI?

They're coming back tomorrow to fix the flue pipe and the work they did first of all but nervous about paying a bill for them fixing something which was done dangerously the first time.

Thanks for replying, appreciate it!
Gas safe installer , don't be taken advantage of when a new gas appliance is installed it needs to meet certain standards which we all have to work to its the Gas safety regulations and use 1998 . What boiler do you have fitted ?? All gas boilers must be fitted to the manufacturers instructions and use only the materials specified by them especially ones which have plastic flues. Kop

Gas safe installer , don't be taken advantage of when a new gas appliance is installed it needs to meet certain standards which we all have to work to its the Gas safety regulations and use 1998 . What boiler do you have fitted ?? All gas boilers must be fitted to the manufacturers instructions and use only the materials specified by them especially ones which have plastic flues. Kop
We have a Keston Combi C30 installed at the moment. That's what the same company that said the job hadn't been done right in the past installed a few years prior.

Am I within my rights to fight to not have to pay and get them to fix their mistake?

We have a Keston Combi C30 installed at the moment. That's what the same company that said the job hadn't been done right in the past installed a few years prior.

Am I within my rights to fight to not have to pay and get them to fix their mistake?
You should not have to pay but due to the length of time since it was installed it may be difficult to resolve the issue you have, I would explain to the the installer that you have had another Gas safe engineer inspect the installation and it's currently been isolated and reported as unsafe to use, give them the opportunity to put the faults right and say you intend to get it examined by Gas safe once they complete the repairs in reality gas safe may or may not attend but if you raise a safety concern then its more likely they will ? take loads of photographs as proof of the faults before repair work starts internally and externally and please keep us updated . Regards Kop

Last edited:
Mupvc is a specific type of pipe that can be used for the keston flue as it can withstand heat better than normal 50 mm drain pipe it’s also more expensive. That’s why it was asked what was the writing on the elbows

Hey, I've attached some photos
Mupvc is a specific type of pipe that can be used for the keston flue as it can withstand heat better than normal 50 mm drain pipe it’s also more expensive. That’s why it was asked what was the writing on the elbows

Attachments

• 20210303_104433.jpg
    20210303_104433.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210303_104425.jpg
    20210303_104425.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 17
Yep the fittings are correct and chances are the pipe is correct to so just need to sort the leak with the same type of fittings

Reply to Leaking Flue pipe from Boiler in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock