Search the forum,

Discuss Just fitted K3 radaitor and the centre front panel won’t heat up in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

But boiler will want dt20 and will cycle to demand that system may be designed at dt15 but boiler will regulate itself at dt20 by cycling

I thought the 20C dT was a sort of standard to compare different boilers but didn't know that the boiler would try and maintain this but difficult on a heat only boiler since it doesnt contol the circ pump. Some Vaillants have return temperature control but I rarely see it mentioned.

I thought the 20C dT was a sort of standard to compare different boilers but didn't know that the boiler would try and maintain this but difficult on a heat only boiler since it doesnt contol the circ pump. Some Vaillants have return temperature control but I rarely see it mentioned.

Yes vaillants and gloworms are the worst for it viessmann also cycle a bit if dt is low

It’s more down to pcb logic and estimates it’s take x to heat from this to this so flow rate is y etc

This shows perhaps why a K3's front panel doesn't heat up as much as the others and should also be filled very slowly?.
I have quite a few old double panel type 22s, these have only two little manifolds on the bottom connecting the two panels, nothing on the top except two bracing strips of welded on steel plate but both panels have separate air vents which makes them very easy to refill and get rid of the air.

1683844716197.png

This shows perhaps why a K3's front panel doesn't heat up as much as the others and should also be filled very slowly?.
I have quite a few old double panel type 22s, these have only two little manifolds on the bottom connecting the two panels, nothing on the top except two bracing strips of welded on steel plate but both panels have separate air vents which makes them very easy to refill and get rid of the air.

View attachment 83388
Hello John,
I have been sick and holiday so very distracted and haven’t got back to my thread.
But yes I do agree, I think at least with large Radaitors a heating system with excellent circulation/ pressure or at least where the K3 is fitted (such as upstairs next to the boiler). Would really help the front panel heat up, but yes the front panel does tend to be diverted around slightly.

Ben

Glad to hear, Ben, that you are back in form again,

Regarding that pesky K3, Renewing the cast iron rads should help but I feel that installing a UPS3 pump would improve the flow considerably as you have established that the rad does, more or less, emit its rated output when running on its own since the boiler doesn't cycle on/off.
The UPS3 is a giant of a pump even though a "6M"(6.4) pump like the UPS2, (6.2M) see below.
The other alternative is to install a low loss header, LLH, where one pump deals with the boiler heat exchanger pressure loss and the other pump deals with the rads/system losses.

1685730229372.png

1685730015027.png

Regarding that pesky K3, Renewing the cast iron rads should help but I feel that installing a UPS3 pump would improve the flow considerably as you have established that the rad does, more or less, emit its rated output when running on its own since the boiler doesn't cycle on/off.
The UPS3 is a giant of a pump even though a "6M"(6.4) pump like the UPS2, (6.2M) see below.
The other alternative is to install a low loss header, LLH, where one pump deals with the boiler heat exchanger pressure loss and the other pump deals with the rads/system losses.

View attachment 83652

View attachment 83651
Hello John

Thank you, the long run on the K3 I think is contributing. It has the longest run in the house. There’s at least a 4 and half metre run just in the room before it even gets out of the lounge/extension. I think the UPS3 pump will help and I will fit this over the summer when I change the Radaitors. Thank you for the technical details I was earlier considering a bigger pump but this more advance pump looks an easier option. I was looking at this link which while slightly off topic explains Pressure drops and flow rates – John Cantor Heat Pumps - https://heatpumps.co.uk/technical/pressure-drops-flow-rates/

Thank you for everyone’s help!

Ben

View attachment 83652

View attachment 83651
Hello John,

This weekend I done some of the work as planned. Fitted a radiator in the downstairs hallway from a cast iron double panel to a type 22 and changed the central heating pump to the UPS 3. The K3 now heats up properly and think the downstairs lounge kitchen diner now will be warm this winter. So problems solved I think.

Ben

Excellent news, what mode and setting are you running the UPS3 at?
Hello John
I tried 2 constant to start with but it didn’t rid the air from the system. Changed it to 3 constant and it heats the K3 (slowly, which I have been told is normal). The old pump ups2 15 50/60 was on 3 constant and failed to heat all the Radaitors. So 3 constant is what I would expect for the UPS 3.

Ben

The UPS3 is now probably pumping at it full 6.4M head (speed 3) so next time its running have a look, or get someone to have a look in the attic, and hold a "glass" of water under the vent pipe with the end of the pipe immersed in the glass and see does the level remain the same, you don't want any air ingress through the vent, also, if possible watch the vent when someone stops/starts the pump and see if any spurt of water.

The UPS3 is now probably pumping at it full 6.4M head (speed 3) so next time its running have a look, or get someone to have a look in the attic, and hold a "glass" of water under the vent pipe with the end of the pipe immersed in the glass and see does the level remain the same, you don't want any air ingress through the vent, also, if possible watch the vent when someone stops/starts the pump and see if any spurt of water.
Hello John

I can check this in the near future. But I assume this won’t cause any flooding issues from the loft tank if it is to higher head? I can’t hear any air in the system and the pump is running quiet, indicating no air in the system.

Ben

No, wouldn't cause any flooding but you don't need any air ingress as it leads to decreased rad output, corrosion and sludge build up.

Hello,

Winter has come and finally I have a warm house with the K3 and the two smaller width K2s heating the whole house. Collectively the three rads I changed went from 4000-5000 BTU approx. To 30,150 BTU. The 1.8metre by 700mm height K3 is a beast and heats a massive space and thereby the whole house.

Would recommend K3 for cold houses or large cold spaces.

Thank you for all contributors helping with some issues faced.

Ben

Reply to Just fitted K3 radaitor and the centre front panel won’t heat up in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock