Search the forum,

Discuss Is this green copper oxide crust normal? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paddy Ward

Hi there
I got a Vaillant ecotec pro28 gas combi boiler installed almost 11 months ago. Recently I have had to allow water into the heating system due to the pressure dropping. I realise this could be a leak somewhere so I started from the boiler as I can't see any dampness/signs of a leak in the house. The pipe shown is the central heating supply and, as you can see in the photo, there is copper carbonate (not oxide as written above)on 2 of the nuts. Would it be safe to assume there is some water escape from these areas?
Any advice would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_20140121_101915.jpg
    IMG_20140121_101915.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, tell the plumber the return pipe is leaking below the boiler.

Keep an eye on it, it may only leak when hot or cold etc...

As gassafe says, there is/was a leak, also topping up pressure once in 11 mths is pretty good
You need to check the system pressure regularly (monthly should be fine) and top up accordingly

As gassafe says, there is/was a leak, also topping up pressure once in 11 mths is pretty good
You need to check the system pressure regularly (monthly should be fine) and top up accordingly

Thanks for the reply guys. It has had to be topped up every couple of days lately, not just once in the past 11 months. I was away for 2 weeks over Christmas and the 2 furthest radiators (upstairs) from the boiler had to be bled as they were full of air too!

if its dry leave well alone for now, as its probably sealed itself up now

if its dry leave well alone for now, as its probably sealed itself up now

It seems dry. But I had to repressure the system twice in the last week so dunno what to think. I wanted to get it sorted before the 1yr guarantee from the plumber runs out

11 months old, it's nearly due for its annual service so get him back for that, he can rectify any other issues at the same time, though let him know before he arrives so he can allow time.

As Roger said, call him back for the service before the warranty is out.

If there is a fault with the boiler he can contact Vaillant for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is this green copper oxide crust normal? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock