Discuss is it possible to zone upstairs/downstairs in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2400sq ft house, 3 beds, bathroom,ensuite upstairs and same downstairs with living room, dining kitchen. I have a 30kw stove along with an oil burner for my heating. Gravity feed opened system. Is it possible i could zone downstairs and upstairs for my different heating needs. Wife and kids will spend most of the day downstairs and instead of running about turning rads of and on every day is it possible i could install something that will just make the heating heat downstairs then when needed, turn it on for upstairs.

Someone mentioned it can be done but ill need stats up and downstairs. If so, how do these work and whats involved in the install.

Twinned together - it's a dual heating system we mean the way the oil and stove is linked up pipewise. And you could have a 2 pipe system or your system could have different zones upstairs/downstairs/hot water or it could just be hot water and radiators depending how it was originally piped

Twinned together - it's a dual heating system we mean the way the oil and stove is linked up pipewise. And you could have a 2 pipe system or your system could have different zones upstairs/downstairs/hot water or it could just be hot water and radiators depending how it was originally piped

The oil burner was the main source of heating. Copper coming from the burner and rest of the house was all in plastic pipe and fittings apart from the pipes coming out of the cylinder.

The new stove, there's 2 pipes coming out the back of it, one going straight up and over to the cylinder and the other is going down, along the floor then up to the cylinder all in copper. It hasn't been connected to the cylinder yet.

If the oil is your original pipe system you would have to see the way it is piped if it's possible to zone are you a plumber or are you diying the stove yourself or is a plumber doing it for you no disrespect meant if you are not a plumber don't take a chance with solid fuel it has to be done by a professional it is dangerous if not done right again no disrespect to you we are here to help

Heat sources (Oil and Stove) need to have separated water ways, independent of each other.

How is it planned to pipe the 30kw stove into the heating circuit??
I would get someone to work out how to do this before thinking about how to zone your system.

If the oil is your original pipe system you would have to see the way it is piped if it's possible to zone are you a plumber or are you diying the stove yourself or is a plumber doing it for you no disrespect meant if you are not a plumber don't take a chance with solid fuel it has to be done by a professional it is dangerous if not done right again no disrespect to you we are here to help

I do plumbing but wouldn't touch this myself. I have a plumber installing it but doing it in stages. The stove has been put in, a pipe coming from the top up into the ceiling towards the cylinder. The other pipe is coming out the bottom, into the floor, along the floor then up the wall towards the cylinder. Both pipes aren't connected to the system yet. Going to do this in stages in the coming months before winter.

What ive gathered( i might be wrong) is that the pipes from the stove get connected to a duel coil cylinder along with a pump etc.. and also gets connected to the pipes going to the rads. That way, it'll heat the rads along with heating the water when not using the oil. Oil can be used to heat up the system when is fire is lit because it can take time to heat the house so a wee kick starter before the stove kicks in whatevers burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to is it possible to zone upstairs/downstairs in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back