Search the forum,

Discuss Broken zone valve for downstairs heating? in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Hoping to check if I have a genuine fault, or something I've overlooked.

I've just moved into a my first house with a conventional boiler and hot water tank. The heating system has two heating zones (upstairs / downstair).

Currently with both thermostats up high and the heating zones active on the boiler controller, the downstairs radiators do not heat up.

If only the downstairs heating zone is on, then the boiler doesn't to run. Upstairs heating and hot water work just fine.

Is this most likely a broken zone valve stuck at "off"?

Any ideas on cost of repairs if this is the case? The boiler is a Potterton Promax SL 15kW and I am in the North East of England.

Thanks for any advice.

What sort (make, model, wired/wireless) of thermostat do you have?

Does the suspect zone valve make a noise when its thermostat is moved from high to low?

Try opening the downstairs zone valve using its 'manual lever' and latch it into its 'open' position. (This won't normally fire the boiler.) Then move the upstairs thermostat to 'high' so the boiler fires up. Does the downstairs zone come on now? Compare the force need to operate the zone valves manually, is the suspect valve significantly different from the working ones?

Hi Chuck, thank you for your response

The thermostat for the downstairs heating zone is a Honeywell DT92E which appears to be a wireless thermostat despite ours being fixed to the wall.

The suspect valve made no noise when turning the downstairs thermostat from high to low.

Trying the manual lever, with the heating off at the thermostat and event programmer, fired the boiler and the radiators heated up. This was without the upstairs heating being on.

With the upstairs heating on, and the suspect valve opened manually, the radiators downstairs did heat up.

The force to use the manual lever compared to the other two is comparable when the heating is off.

However when the heating is on, the upstairs value manual leaver is free moving (I assume as the valve is already open). Where the downstairs zone valve still has the original resistance. (Suggesting the valve has remains closed?)

Hope this helps - thank you again

Find the receiver box for the zone valve and have a look at the lights on it. Try pushing the button, which should operate the zone valve. (One push to open, another push to close, etc.) Also have a look at the thermostat display, are there any symbols displaying. E.g. A flame icon should appear when you increase the set point and disappear when you reduce it.

Hi Chuck,

I was unable to find such control for the valves either near or on the water tank, or the floor directly below around the boiler.

All the zone valves are wired into the white box in the top right of the image.

The thermostat displays the flame icon when the temperature setpoint is above the current temperature

IMG_20230210_122658.jpg

I was unable to find such control for the valves either near or on the water tank, or the floor directly below around the boiler.
Seems odd, if you have a wireless thermostat there is surely a (BDR91) receiver to control the valve somewhere. Perhaps you are mistaken about the thermostat model or the receiver is boxed in somewhere. Either way, the next step is to check the voltages at the suspect valve. Unless you are competent to undertake live mains-voltage testing you should leave this to a qualified heating engineer.

I don't know what people charge in your part of the world but it'll probably be a minimum charge (e.g. couple of hours labour) and parts. Say ÂŁ150 give or take. Seems a lot for a simple job but it's what people need to stay in business and they ain't going to get rich if they only charge that!

Good news is that you can latch the ground floor valve open and run the house a s single zone using the upstairs thermostat for a few days so it's not an 'emergency' call.

Reply to Broken zone valve for downstairs heating? in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A bit of clarification - I have extended a 3 bedroom semi detached and at the time central heating pipes were going in I told the plumber could I have 2 zones - one for bedrooms upstairs and another for the living areas downstairs. Now the plastering has been finished and I am costing the combi...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
Afternoon Fellas If anyone has time to help with this snag it'd be much appreciated. We have a wet-floor system controlled by John Guest UH3 and rather dated Heatmiser DT thermostats. One of the upstairs zones is combined for the bedroom/dressing room. So that's 2 rooms, 2 manifolds, but one...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs covering at leave twice the floor area As per diagram has free flow Up or Down, no way to balance. Works pretty well but last few Rads (in kitchen) are...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was not working. He changed both valves and still the radiator was not working. He put some chemicals in and said it should break up anything that is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock