Search the forum,

Discuss Impact Driver / Bits in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Beckett

Gas Engineer
Hi all,

I've been looking at getting myself an impact driver and wondered what peoples experiences have been with them. I've been looking the Makita to go with my drill.

Has anyone tried the 14v versions as there's a fair price difference between that and 18v?
Are they underpowered for everyday use compared with 18v or pretty decent?

Opinion on either much appreciated.

Thanks.

Go for the 18v, I've not yet found a screw it can't put in. Plus there is such a massive range of power tools that go with the 18volt l ion batteries.

as for impact bits, don't skimp on these or they will round off quick and you will stab your finger (very painfull)
i use the makita double ended ones (3 in a pack, but 6 bits) they are wasted in the middle to take some of the shock out of the impact bit. Last ages too.
Makita Torsion Screwdriver Bits PZ2 - Screwdriver Bits & Bit Sets - Drills, Drivers & Screwdrivers - Power Tools | Axminster Tools & Machinery

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 121
14V will be fine for an impact. I use the older 18V lithium Makita one that a lot of people have. As for screwdriver bits, get a few wera gold pz2 bits, you will loose them before you break/wear them out. Then I use a Milwaukee shockwave bit holder. Also get a screwdriver bit set with torx, hex, slotted Phillips, pozi bits in. Bosch, Metabo and Hitachi rebrand the same set, comes with about 33 bits in it and is around a tenner.

Hi all,

I've been looking at getting myself an impact driver and wondered what peoples experiences have been with them. I've been looking the Makita to go with my drill.

Has anyone tried the 14v versions as there's a fair price difference between that and 18v?
Are they underpowered for everyday use compared with 18v or pretty decent?

Opinion on either much appreciated.

Thanks.
wera,only ones that work imho

depends what your using it for but my 12v makita will drive a three inch 10 into wood with out faltering
if its for clipping and rad hangings (i use mine with a ten mil socket for euro fixings ) go for the 14v as the 18v can be to big and heavy to use constantly lots of shopfitting chippies still use the 9 volt old makitas with the stick in the handle batteries purely for the lightness and balance
its not always a case of biggest is best
i find the cheapest 25 in a box bits from screwfix the best option for bits under 50 p each and as soon as it slips chuck it away

Last edited:
I bought a little box of dewalt PZ2 bits about 4 years ago, I'm down to my last 2, blinding value. Currently using a 10v dewalt impact driver and it hasn't failed me yet. Used to have makita 18v before it got nicked

I ordered a new dewalt 18v impact for the old dewalt batterys from usa only ÂŁ30 plus postage best purchase ive ever made, we do all aspects of work from plumbing and gas to brick laying roofs the lot and it is brilliant, driving screws in no difficulty at all never looked back, only thing you've got to watch is when your screwing something more delicate, the weight isn't an issue and its reliable and strong I forgot to clip my holster and dropped it off the roof done more damage to the flags than the drill

Ive got the 18v Makita, Best tool Ive got, absolutely love it. hammers speed bits through floor boards and joists too

You'll get more tool options with the Makita 18v range than the 14v, get the bare tool for eighty quid and see if you can get a bat and charger for another eighty.

Last edited:
Ive the worx green 18v
Never realised how good impact drivers are till I used and got one.
Been driving 12 guage 100mm screws all day on one charge.

Not one slipped head or snapped screw !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Impact Driver / Bits in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock