Search the forum,

Discuss How to find a leak -low pressure boiler in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi we had a new boiler fitted about 6 months ago and over the past 2 weeks the boiler pressure has dropped to 0 at least 4 times. It only seems to happen during the night when the boiler has been off as we keep waking up and noticing that the boiler is off due to no pressure. It doesn't happen during the day. Our old boiler occasionally did this but not to this extent. I am assuming we have a leaky pipe given that the boiler is quite new and otherwise working very well.

My question is how on earth do we find the leak? There are no signs of water damage anywhere so I just don't know where to start.

I'm just a normal homeowner, have no plumbing knowledge at all. Any tips really gratefully recieved

Cheers

Emma

Last edited:
Check the tops of radiators at the blanking plug and bleed vent, and also at the valves. What boiler was fitted and how many radiators do you have? Check the safety discharge pipe outside (the copper pipe), there shouldn’t be any water dripping, but not unheard of.

Check the tops of radiators at the blanking plug and bleed vent, and also at the valves. What boiler was fitted and how many radiators do you have? Check the safety discharge pipe outside (the copper pipe), there shouldn’t be any water dripping, but not unheard of.
Thank. Checked the radiators and no signs of leaks. It's a worcester greenstar 8000 lite. There is a condenser pipe which has a tiny drip on it but I assumed it wasn't that causing the low pressure because isn't it the job of the condenser pipe to remove the water outside.

We noticed that its only first thing in the morning that the boiler has no pressure after the boiler has been off all night.

Yes the condensate pipe is for condensate discharge. You’ll have a copper pipe as well, this terminates (usually) outside, check this for water dripping. Make sure the filling loop isn’t open. If all this is good then you either have an expansion issue or a concealed leak.

I'd also be putting pressure on the installer to sort this. If it is faulty work then its down to him and you also want additional compensation for the breach of contract. If its a boiler part issue then its covered by 12 year warranty.

If you paid the installer to supply the boiler then it is entirely down to them for the time being.

Set them a time limit to resolve the problem (you need to put this in writing) and decide on a time frame by which they must resolve to your satisfaction. Make certain you give simple details so there can be no room for interpretation. i.e. the issue will be resolved when the boiler has not needed repressurised for x weeks.

Your initial contract should have stated the terms but I'm guessing you don't have one so it now becomes assumed under law.

If after the given deadline it is still not resolved, appoint another plumber to resolve the problem and then make sure you get into court asap if they are a Ltd company. It will only cost you £50 for the online Northampton court.

Does it drop every day?
Does it only drop when its switched off at night?
When you re-fill it, how long does it take to achieve correct pressure?
No its only done it about 4 times in 2 weeks and it's always when we get up in the morning we notice its gone down to 0 (the boiler is off overnight). We fill it up and its back to the correct pressure straight away.

Reply to How to find a leak -low pressure boiler in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock