Discuss how much would you charge for labour? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all,
I'm quoting for one of my first paid jobs. I could do with advice on the going rate for my job.
- installing outdoor tap on kitchen wall (no tap there at present)
- hanging two rads. First fix already done.
- fitting TRVs throughout the house (don't know how many rads, so assume an average 3-bed house).
Thanks,
Jennie

I charge £40/hr for plumbing jobs or £60/hr for Gas work
Or £200 day rate plumbing, and £300 day rate gas work all for a SEVEN hr period of which ONE hour is for break

How can you quote for the trv's if you don't know how many rads? You'll just have to give a price per rad for that I guess then multiply by amount of rads making sure the customer knows that!

Some jobs I do I will price by hourly rate others such as tap washers or fitting an outside tap aren't worth doing if your charging an hourly rate and your only there an hour lol so I tend to charge a set price

I don't even bother with changing washers.
I jnform the customer it is better a new tap is fitted, but encourage them to get someone else if they'd rather just have the washer replaced.

Hi all,
I'm quoting for one of my first paid jobs. I could do with advice on the going rate for my job.
- fitting TRVs throughout the house (don't know how many rads, so assume an average 3-bed house).
Thanks,
Jennie

Do it in sections ie work out your material costs then how long you think it will take then add a bit extra for unforseen problems !
Start low and build up I would think if you can earn a bit then great .
Add a bit of profit on your materials too .
Price of materials can be done easily with a phone call to merchants or at a shed online like screwfix ?
Do not under sell yourself but also realise you will not be as fast as someone with experience !

I jnform the customer it is better a new tap is fitted, but encourage them to get someone else if they'd rather just have the washer replaced.

Was just an example lol, I'm the same changing washers is mostly a false economy for the time I'm there I could change the taps almost as quick!

your looking at a days work so what ever your houly rate is plus materials remember there will always be problems you will come across that your not expecting so I always have a good look around the house and inform the home owner at the start of the job of and possible problems that might be extra work or that you will get blamed for at the end of the day when you go to get paid

Outside tap £65-80nish

Hang and connect to rads £100 ish (for the pair)

TRVs, half a day plus a bit £120 ish for labour only

Hope this helps. I have some set prices for stuff but youve got to factor in some things aswell

Do you have anything else to do that will pay you more? How easy is the job? Will it lead to more work? Sometimes youve got to adjust your pricing to get the job and keep the money rolling in

Hi all,
Thanks,
Jennie

Instal of external tap, assuming straight forward - £50 labour only.

Hanging two rads, assuming pipe centres are correct - £150 (allow half day as drain down system and refill etc.). If pipe centres are out then you could be there most of the day especially as your new.

Fitting TRV's - I have 9 rads in my house (two bed), assume something similar - £200 as with above you'll need to drain down etc.

Above prices are labour only.

personally cant see changing a washer a problem ever, just inform them tht if it hapens agin soon they will have to consider changing the taps! some people might have matching bath/basin taps so changing is not always an option . plus the biggest downturn to this aroud my way is, if i told a customer to change taps insead of washer, they would call another plumber, he would cahnge the washer, then people would start calling me a con man ect trying to get extra money out of the tennant!!!

And replace with what....something of lesser quality?

A nice old pair of 60's basin taps for example with a split washer and in need of a bit of a grease up which have been doing their job happily for 50 years and you will chuck them for a pair of modern taps made to last 10 years max?

I hate this throwaway culture...not getting at you personally village idiot old son just making a general point.

mind you some of the washers we fit nowdays in work complete and utter cr*p ! the "holdite" ones ar terrible, hole too big on the 3/8" ones to fit peggler taps! and they go soft in the hot tap, have been back to one address the next day to replace it again! washer was like chewing gum in the tap! anyway, drifting away from original post now! RESOLUTE prices seem about right! but cant say without looking at some pics!

mind you some of the washers we fit nowdays in work complete and utter cr*p ! the "holdite" ones ar terrible, hole too big on the 3/8" ones to fit peggler taps! and they go soft in the hot tap, have been back to one address the next day to replace it again! washer was like chewing gum in the tap! anyway, drifting away from original post now! RESOLUTE prices seem about right! but cant say without looking at some pics!

This is true actually.....why cant manufacturers these days give us half a fighting chance? I wish I had a time machine to go back to the 80's and stock up of quality cheap parts.

This is true actually.....why cant manufacturers these days give us half a fighting chance? I wish I had a time machine to go back to the 80's and stock up of quality cheap parts.
50`s might have been better ?
You might get me some decent timber while you are there too please ?
All the good stuff is going to Russia and China so I am told ?

50`s might have been better ?
You might get me some decent timber while you are there too please ?
All the good stuff is going to Russia and China so I am told ?

I'm just in a bad mood as I've had just about enough of issues this week with poor quality tat, spent all day wrestling with a Hotpoint cooker hood made of such thin tin foil that it could barely take its own weight, flat pack cams that just snap when tighened, rubbishy B&Q shower traps that block up with hair every week and a brass click clack waste mechanism that disintergrates upon removal.

Last edited:
Trouble is we all are slaves to the costs. There are things I fit/change now that have actually gone down in price in the last few years. All because it's mass produced, cheap rubbish. Getting hold of quality materials isn't always easy.

Example, one of my merchants I use (not yours Ray!) I asked for some full bore iso valves the other week. The depth of the socket for the pipe to go into was so small. On decent quality valves, you insert a pipe about 15mm on a 15mm fitting. This was about half that. Just room for the olive.

As for changing taps every time they need a washer - each to their own. I would try to service the tap myself, and if it needed it change the gland. Swapping them over as a matter of course seems a bit heavy handed to me personally. Though obviously there are times I do it. It's a judgement call.

PS - will give a good example tomorrow. Going back to a property I fitted an unvented cylinder in. Warned them that the extra pressure could cause leaks, etc.

It's been in two weeks, and the bath tap is dripping. Don't want to change them, seriously expensive looking taps.

danny , what is this about "change the gland" never heard of this before!!! only re packing with ptfe , please explain! :)

danny , what is this about "change the gland" never heard of this before!!! only re packing with ptfe , please explain! :)

I'm guessing he means using tap revivers or similar, a bit like changing the cartridge on a ceramic disc tap

I'm just in a bad mood as I've had just about enough of issues this week with poor quality tat, spent all day wrestling with a Hotpoint cooker hood made of such thin tin foil that it could barely take its own weight, flat pack cams that just snap when tighened, rubbishy B&Q shower traps that block up with hair every week and a brass click clack waste mechanism that disintergrates upon removal.
Look on the bright side tools are cheaper now than they have ever been !
My first real building tool was an Hitachi 9" grinder and it was £100 plus vat 30 years ago !
last year bought an Hitatchi twin pack 9" and 4" for £58 including vat !
First mini excavator bought in 1985 was £10,000 I expect you could get one at the same money today !

I'm guessing he means using tap revivers or similar, a bit like changing the cartridge on a ceramic disc tap

Yeah, I meant cartridge. Sorry. I had a brain fart!

I don't use tap revivers, but I do carry standard 1/2 tap cartridges. They cost about £4 for a pair, and they're often identical to the ones you have removed, so if there is a problem with the cartridge, I just replace it with one of these. If the tap is a quarter turn with ceramic discs, then I'll often try driving to my local merchants who have a really good stock. I understand if you don't have anyone close by who holds a stock like this, because Drakes (the merchants) are the ONLY ones who hold a stock near me, and I'm surrounded by good plumbing merchants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to how much would you charge for labour? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, recently had a bit of a dispute over a quote asking me to break it down etc saying they can buy this from X for Y.. how much is...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First...
Replies
Views
B
Bit late as we are half way through 😩 but just wondering if I’ve had my pants taken down or this is reasonable (well the norm with supply and...
Replies
Views
Hi there My shower is leaking, coming into the kitchen, and I have a trading standards approved plumber from the buy with confidence website...
Replies
Views
Back