Search the forum,

Discuss How do you get out of the jobs you don't want? Excuses & Reasons used? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toggles

Esteemed
Plumber
Hi all

Just curious, if you're called to a private job walking in blind and you know it's going to be more hassle than its worth OR like me it's just been a complete time consuming PAIN to sort out..... and now its a personal pet hate or just jinxed with it :-(

How do you get out of it?
What do you tell customer?

I'm torn between: Can't do it, Won't do it, hate doing it, it goes wrong, tell them it's not my expertise, OR...... just over cost/ price it...... tell them I'm too busy, get someone else ?

Ta you little angels ;)

Tell them it's not my expertise, OR...... just over cost/ price it...... tell them I'm too busy, get someone else.

Any of these for me but never say can`t, won`t or hate.

Happy money. Way overprice, so by chance you do get it, you will work with a smile on your face.

Tell them it's not my expertise, OR...... just over cost/ price it...... tell them I'm too busy, get someone else.

Any of these for me but never say can`t, won`t or hate.

Cheers RPM

I understand your thinking ;)

Rare that I won't do a job or even refuse one, but customers don't take kindly to refusal and I hate the attitude that follows...
Thanks again ;)

Tell them your extremely busy but could fit them in in 3 months time and over price the job.

Any of these for me but never say can`t, won`t

Why not? The problem with overcharging massively is your punter will
a)say no, but tell everyone you are an expensive cheating git
b) say yes, have work done, then find out the "proper" price, and will tell everyone you are an expensive cheating git .

Personally, if it's a job I don't fancy. I tell them straight, perhaps with a sweetener.The most common reaction is gratitude that I just didn't get back to them. Except for the four over many years that I refused to work because, for some reason or other, I did not like THEM (and told them so)

Tell them your extremely busy but could fit them in in 3 months time and over price the job.

some might call your bluff tho like i have had a few

Overprice by miles is what I usually do. Or the extremely busy one gets used on occasion also. Never say can't or won't. Your still a professional plumber

I just say booked up for at least xx weeks and they'll generally go elsewhere

Say will send them a quote by email . Then just email them saying recently taken on a 6 month contract working in care homes. ;)

Either price yourself out of it or be honest and say the job's not for you.

Fibs have a way of coming back to bite you on the bottom.

I work for people I don't like all the time, I tell them it's not for me, not my area of expertise or I don't think it'll work.

Wouldnt want a fellow professional to be faced with somebody I wouldnt work for.

Haha, I could think of one or two I'd pass crappy jobs onto .... Payback time! I wouldn't fancy the bad Karma though so probably wouldn't after all ;)

Variety of views and tactics here.
I'm getting the gist of what I should or shouldn't use/do now ......
Thanks all you've been a great help as always ;)

ONE after this......... Maybe I'll stop at 99! lol

99 Red Balloons, la la la la la la blah blah..... dont know the words ! :50: There's no Balloons
in the smiley box !

Hi all

Just curious, if you're called to a private job walking in blind and you know it's going to be more hassle than its worth OR like me it's just been a complete time consuming PAIN to sort out..... and now its a personal pet hate or just jinxed with it :-(

How do you get out of it?
What do you tell customer?

I'm torn between: Can't do it, Won't do it, hate doing it, it goes wrong, tell them it's not my expertise, OR...... just over cost/ price it...... tell them I'm too busy, get someone else ?

Ta you little angels ;)

Tell the customer you will send them a quote.
And price the job as you see it.

If you're double or triple the next person - so be it.

If you get questions about your quote - go into detail about the job required.
Make it sound as complex as you can.

If you don't get it - you didn't want it anyway.
If you get it - put up with it and make more money than you normally would.

If you don't like the customer - or get a bad vibe - walk away or ask for a substantial deposit.

If it's not your thing, let them know.

But just remember -
There is no such thing as overpricing a job.
There is such a thing as underpricing a job

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do you get out of the jobs you don't want? Excuses & Reasons used? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock