Discuss hot water has a green tinge and is slightly smelly in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

slunge

the hot water coming from my 20 year old vented copper cylinder has a green tinge which is progressively becoming more pronounced. Also this hot water is slightly smelly. Cylinder is heated by a 20 year old free standing cast iron boiler which is serviced annually and has never had any problems.
Everything appears to be working ok, nothing coming from overflow pipe, its just the green coloured water that is causing concern. Any thoughts on cause/cure would be greatly appreciated

Check your cold water cistern, does it have a lid? Is the water clear?

How old is the cylinder? The coil may have gone.

you have a dead alien from the planet zog rotting away in your header tank,that will teach the dirty barstewards to come down here with there anal probes they had not bet on our most basic defense drowning in a cwsc in the loft,or you have bacterial issues

another thread on this somewhere..... something about a womans hair going green im pretty sure it turned out to be bacterial

I've seen some weird and wonderful growths in cold water tanks, normally the central heating F&E mind coz that has the chance of getting warmed up a bit ... I'd be checking your cold tank, see if there's anything in there. Failing that then you may have some bacterial growth going on within your system. Google "water smelling of eggs!" .... that'll bring up some interesting reading for you :)

Check your cold water cistern, does it have a lid? Is the water clear?<BR><BR>How old is the cylinder? The coil may have gone.
thanks for reply, the cold water cistern&nbsp;supplying the cylinder sits on top of the cylinder and has a copper lid.<BR>The plastic CWFE cistern has no lid. The cylinder is 21 years old. The water is a little murky

i converted an office block from indirect to direct mains last year, was a very old galvy tank, their kitchen sinks were fed off of the tank where they had their tea and cleaned their cups. The inside of the tank was disgusting, can't believe they have been using that water for all that time lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to hot water has a green tinge and is slightly smelly in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock