Search the forum,

Discuss High Level Cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rusty's_Kitchen

We have a 2 bedroom flat with a high-level cistern. The tenant has asked that a stop-tap be put on the water pipe leading to the high-level cistern.

We fitted the high-level cistern about 5 year ago just as they were coming into fashion and we're reluctant to start messing unnecessarily with the piping - our view is that adding a stop-tap would weaken the piping.

The cistern overflow vents directly to the outside and the cistern is working fine and we are concerned that messing with the system would introduce leaks

There is an easily accessible stop-cock for the entire flat.

What do people think - are we being unreasonable?
Rusty

unusual for a tenant to request this, is there a reason why? is it leaking or really loud when filling?

In short it should have an isolator on it and a ball-o-fix will be fine and won't weaken the pipework but my psychic sense tells me they want it for a particular like to have close it as the cistern is loud when it refills, this in not the correct solution though. (note that i may be wrong with this guess though)

A mini lever valve might be best, but more expensive.

I cant really see why the tenant would need one to be honest. I wouldn't waste my money on fitting one for no reason.

I would definitely advise fitting a service ball valve. Could prevent a flood when the plastic cistern valve snaps, the tenant can turn it off easily, i have seen the mess a full flow mains pressure can cause. The main stop cocks are often too stiff to turn off in a hurry, service valves should be fitted on everything for convenience, let alone a reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would definitely advise fitting a service ball valve. Could prevent a flood when the plastic cistern valve snaps, the tenant can turn it off easily, i have seen the mess a full flow mains pressure can cause. The main stop cocks are often too stiff to turn off in a hurry, service valves should be fitted on everything for convenience, let alone a reason.
And to comply with water regulations that require issolation within 300mm of every outlet if I recall correctly. So should have had one from the outset..... Naughty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to High Level Cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock