Search the forum,

Discuss Hi Guys - A bit of advice required in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Folks, I need a bit of advice or help.

I have a low pressure hot water system due to the Hot Water Tank being in a bedroom, not in the attic. I have a Salamander Electric Pump fitted, which until recently has now started "hunting". It's driving me banana's as I was told by Salamander to:

1. Switch off the pump at the electric point
2. Close the inlet valve (only two valves on this pump - in and out)
3. Run the water through all the taps using the pump, non comes out due to the inlet being closed.
(I have tried to run just water through the entire system without the pump running)
4. Use a foot or bike pump to pump the pressure vessle to 29-30psi
5. Open the inlet valve and then switch on the pump.

No difference?

The thing is, the pump operates normally when running the hot water tap on the bath (22mm copper pipe) but hunts on the 15mm copper pipes that supply the bathroom sink upstairs, kitchen sink downstairs and the wet room sink downstairs.

I can only guess that there is an air bubble in the system which is compressing when the pump runs causing it to hunt.

Any help or even paid assistance would be greatly appreciated.

All the best
Jim

Or the pump is getting old and the pressure transducer is starting to fail causing it to come on when it thinks there’s a pressure drop

Or you have a leak etc

The precharge pressure of 30 psi seems a bit high even though it shouldnt cause a hunting problem, think I pumped one up for someone (pump was cutting in/out frequently when off) to ~ 10/12 psi. May be worth throttling in that bath hot tap until or if the pump starts hunting and measure the flowrate then, I think these pumps also use flowswitches to stop the pump when the flowrate is < 1.0LPM and the pressure switch is satisfied although hunting is not a sign of start/stop operation.

Reply to Hi Guys - A bit of advice required in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock