Search the forum,

Discuss Help finding 2 unusual ceramic disc valve replacements (for old quarter turn taps) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GeoffW

I have two very leaky taps which I am struggling to find replacement cartridges for.
I bought a couple of valves from my local plumbers merchants but they did not fit... I took them back and was advised unless I knew the manufacturer and model it would be an impossible task to find replacements and I would need to replace the tap.... well I don't know the manufacturers but I do not want to replace the taps!!!
I would upload some photos but because I have not posted on here before it doesn't seem to allow me to.
One of the cartridges I have has 24 teeth but it does not have the top thread. It just has the bottom 1/2" thread but most of the cartridges I have seen have another thread at the top (around the nut section) which mine does not have.
Then the other one I have is 20 teeth but has a very long stem, (total length of cartridge is about 60mm!!) which is much longer than any others I have seen.
I have also tried cleaning the parts but this has not stopped the drip.
They are definitely 1/2" as the ones I bought locally screwed into tap block but the handle does not fit on.
Hope someone can help :confused5::confused5::confused5::confused5::confused5:

Re: Help finding 2 unusual ceramic disc valve replacements (for old quarter turn taps

it really will save you time and money in the long run if you buy new taps. With out the manufacturer and model it really is needle in a haysack as there are so many out there.
I assume there is no name on the tap anywhere so it would point to it being unbranded and likely from a shed like wickes or something meaning it will be even more difficult to find. You will save yourself days by buying new taps, they aren't that much, honest!

If you have photos of the tap PM me and I will add it to your post

Re: Help finding 2 unusual ceramic disc valve replacements (for old quarter turn taps

Thanks Tom for your reply. It's not really the cost which is bothering me about replacing the taps, it just seems such a waste and they match the rest of the bathroom suite. I am going to persevere for a bit longer to find replacements (I will see how long I can cope with the wife nagging me to fix the leak!) before I resign to replacing the taps!!!

Give the shower doctor a go. Dont know if they do tap inserts but worth a try.

Im afraid when I come across problems like this then its new taps. You can spend hours looking for the right ones.

Good luck in your search and let us know if you have any luck.

have you looked at getting some tap reviver's?

This is great thanks everyone for their comments! Didn't have any luck with Shower Doctor but not sure how I hadn't come across The Tap Magician before as as they have far more sizes than anywhere else I have been looking, looks like they have both the sizes I need (within a mm difference anyway!) so will order and update how I get on!! (..if anyone is still interested by then ha)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help finding 2 unusual ceramic disc valve replacements (for old quarter turn taps) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock