Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss HardieBacker - "other" uses. in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

gmartine

Esteemed
Gas Engineer
A creative friend of mine wants to use it like ply/chip board and make kitchen cabinets (doorless) out of it as he likes the brutalist look. Straight away I said no it's too brittle, wont take screws and plugs without splitting (I think) nor would any shelving take loading well. I've used it as specified for flooring (supported) or tile backer so have drilled and screwed it but I'm doubting myself, could it be a viable material for this type of use?

Depending on construction technique, yes I think it would work (can’t screw into its edge, so would need a “batten “ framework to screw into)
It doesn’t split providing you’re not too near the edges, if you pilot drill and I always use a countersink too.
It is so stiff it would be pretty good,
Would need to seal it I suspect, and maybe smooth the rough side a bit.

You could but you would need perfect boards you could router them out

Ply you can get expensive versions which look good as base units

Never realised, I'll be more careful around it.

Another reason for making them in cement board was that his kitchen kept flooding (1st floor flat) because one of his soil pipes kept backing up and blowing the cabinets apart even though I twice put in a non-return. I don't know why but it kept failing/flooding so we're now going to re-route the outlet to another stack over the summer so another need not to waterproof the cabinets.

Reply to HardieBacker - "other" uses. in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock