Search the forum,

Discuss Grundfos macerator runs for a long time to flush waste in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all

I own a Grundfos Sololift 2 and today today the macerator has been behaving odd. It seems to run for a long time (at least a minute) to flush the waste after I used the toilet. Also it has become very sensitive and even turns on more often when I run the tap. I'm wondering if you guys have a solution to this problem? I'm hoping @rpm might have an answer :D

Depending on age and condition of water in your area (hard or soft) I would have it serviced by somebody who knows what they are doing. That is dismantled and cleaned inside. No disrespect to members here but the average guy will do little more than turn up and recommend a new one so be there and watch.

Depending on age and condition of water in your area (hard or soft) I would have it serviced by somebody who knows what they are doing. That is dismantled and cleaned inside. No disrespect to members here but the average guy will do little more than turn up and recommend a new one so be there and watch.
Thanks for your response. The macerator is only 6 months old and I live in a hard water area. The only objects that go in the macerator are tissues, my wife sometimes uses them and does a half flush with them so im wondering if that has anything to do with it. Besides that can't think of any other reason for the malfunction.

By the way the macerator performs fine when tap is running. Only runs for a long time when the toilet gets flushed

Ok, half flush button should had been disconnected. Turn power off and pour 5 litres of almost boiling hot water down the pan and leave for 30 minutes then turn power back on and test, may have to do this several times but gradually run time will come down.

Ok, half flush button should had been disconnected. Turn power off and pour 5 litres of almost boiling hot water down the pan and leave for 30 minutes then turn power back on and test, may have to do this several times but gradually run time will come down.
Amazing, will give this a try. I also have some pro-kleen macerator descaler, you reckon its worth pouring that too ?

Yes but after the hot water cycles and then use it as per instructions every 6 months.
Hi rpm. I followed your instructions and hot water technique didn't work. In fact the macerator takes longer to shut off even if I used the tap ('m sure it hasn't got anything to do with the hot water technique. I also opened the tank to see if there was anything inside and it was clear of objects as well as the blade it self.

Here's a video of the macerator just after I let the tap run for 10 seconds.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykVEbB8xNio

Any thoughts ?

Thanks again

Thanks for the video which really helps highlight the problem, from the video I see that it replaced a Saniflo and the water is simply recycling within the tank. Can I asked what was the problem(s) with the old unit? Where you told it was damaged by any chance?

Thanks for the video which really helps highlight the problem, from the video I see that it replaced a Saniflo and the water is simply recycling within the tank. Can I asked what was the problem(s) with the old unit? Where you told it was damaged by any chance?
Yes old unit was a Saniflo and it got damaged as someone in my family threw their contact lens containers in there and screwed up the motor. Otherwise it was working fine for about 10 years before it got replaced with this Grundfos model. I only purchased this one as it had good reviews and was substantially cheaper than the Saniflo.

Nothing against the Grundfos, they are good units. I now strongly suspect the problem is within the discharge pipe and that first sharp 90 degree elbow in the corner in particular. Disconnect the rubber elbow (at the unit), cut out the sharp plastic elbow and fit two forty five`s. Pour water down the open pipe to check the rest of the pipe is clear first and fit the missing jubilee clip to the rubber elbow when reassembling.
[automerge]1602259854[/automerge]
Opps, turn power off first!

Nothing against the Grundfos, they are good units. I now strongly suspect the problem is within the discharge pipe and that first sharp 90 degree elbow in the corner in particular. Disconnect the rubber elbow (at the unit), cut out the sharp plastic elbow and fit two forty five`s. Pour water down the open pipe to check the rest of the pipe is clear first and fit the missing jubilee clip to the rubber elbow when reassembling.
[automerge]1602259854[/automerge]
Opps, turn power off first!
Ok thanks will give that a try, do you suspect something may be blocking the pipes too or is it just the sharp bend thats causing the problem ?

Ok thanks will give that a try, do you suspect something may be blocking the pipes too or is it just the sharp bend thats causing the problem ?
Suspect you will find what remains of the contact lens container in the elbow wrapped up in tissue paper but don`t want you to rod it through to another elbow under the floor. Have seen 21.5mm pipe reduced to 8mm bore with limescale, if you find that then have all the pipe replaced or you won`t get very long out of the new unit.

Actually say`s in the MI`s no ninety degree elbows allowed but Hey Ho still find them all the time and please come back with findings.

Suspect you will find what remains of the contact lens container in the elbow wrapped up in tissue paper but don`t want you to rod it through to another elbow under the floor. Have seen 21.5mm pipe reduced to 8mm bore with limescale, if you find that then have all the pipe replaced or you won`t get very long out of the new unit.

Actually say`s in the MI`s no ninety degree elbows allowed but Hey Ho still find them all the time and please come back with findings.
Sorry to be a pain but the contact lens containers was found in the old Saniflo macerator. The piping you see in the video was fitted when installing the current Grundfos one so it was free of any objects when first used.

Sorry to be a pain but the contact lens containers was found in the old Saniflo macerator. The piping you see in the video was fitted when installing the current Grundfos one so it was free of any objects when first used.
Not being a pain mate. So with new unit and ALL new pipework throughout fiited I would now remove and inspect the rubber elbow is clear. There will be a rubber flap but that is the non-return valve. Then I would refit the elbow, add a length of pipe, stick pipe out of window and flush and count. If it behaves then problem is in the pipe - Yes?

If it doesn`t behave then problem is within the tank and you are covered by the warranty.

Not being a pain mate. So with new unit and ALL new pipework throughout fiited I would now remove and inspect the rubber elbow is clear. There will be a rubber flap but that is the non-return valve. Then I would refit the elbow, add a length of pipe, stick pipe out of window and flush and count. If it behaves then problem is in the pipe - Yes?

If it doesn`t behave then problem is within the tank and you are covered by the warranty.
Yes totally makes sense now. Much appreciate your advice and I will for sure keep you posted on the findings.

Hi rpm, before I begin the test I just wanted to if its safe to use a Layflat discharge hose which I will connect to the macerator elbow pipe and feed out the window ?

Hi rpm, before I begin the test I just wanted to if its safe to use a Layflat discharge hose which I will connect to the macerator elbow pipe and feed out the window ?
Layflat and the elbow are both soft so how are you going to join them? For the little that 21.5mm white pipe costs I would buy a length of it Don`t forget to fit the missing jubilee clip or it could become messy.

If you do use the layflat you might have to help the pipe take shape.

Thinking on, wonder what size layflat the OP had in mind, if it was to large you could get exactly the same problem with the pump running on and worse if the pipe left the pump went down to the floor then back up the wall and out the window.

Thinking on, wonder what size layflat the OP had in mind, if it was to large you could get exactly the same problem with the pump running on and worse if the pipe left the pump went down to the floor then back up the wall and out the window.
So good and bad news. The good news is the macerator pump works, the bad news is that the 25mm waste pipe is blocked with baby wipes. I found a piece of it after I dissembled the motor which I thought was faulty. After putting it back together I did your test with feeding a length of pipe outside the window and the macerator successfully pumped it out. When I reconnected the macerator back to the 25mm waste pipe, same problem and the unit struggled to pump it out.

I really don’t want to change the pipes so is there anything i can do to unblock the waste pipe from the baby wipes ? Thanks

By the way, for those who are curious, my lovely wife who has recently moved in with me flushed baby wipes down the toilet without “realising”.

Mostly likely the blockage is in the first sharp 90 degree elbow so you could try wire with a hook attached to remove it or attach a wet-vac and let it run for awhile but this might take several attempts. Or get the elbow cut out and replace it. You said that the pipework was replaced with the new pump so this is on the installer
You have grounds for divorce.

You could try putting the hose pipe on it carefully and flush it with mains

You could try putting the hose pipe on it carefully and flush it with mains
Not a good idea Shaun as there is strong chance of compressing the wet wipe in the elbow causing a full on blockage or even pushing it to the next sharp 90 degree elbow. Where there is one in the line there are normally others and this one runs under the floor.

Not a good idea Shaun as there is strong chance of compressing the wet wipe in the elbow causing a full on blockage or even pushing it to the next sharp 90 degree elbow. Where there is one in the line there are normally others and this one runs under the floor.

would think that’s already been done by the pump on the mac due it being blocked ?

Last we heard it was taking longer to clear the water so on that basis it is not blocked (yet)
Actually I thought I mentioned but the macerator isn't pumping the water out anymore. The water is at a standstill when it operates.... I will try the wire method to see if anything comes out. If not what do you guys think about pouring soap and boiling water down the pipe? or even a drain unblocker like the one below which says its suitable for plastic pipes...

Hot water and soap wont do anything to a synthetic wipe nor will the drain cleaner made for grease, fat and food build up, infact anything that will melt a wet wipe will no doubt melt the pipe, Stand to be corrected as always though.

Hot water and soap wont do anything to a synthetic wipe nor will the drain cleaner made for grease, fat and food build up, infact anything that will melt a wet wipe will no doubt melt the pipe, Stand to be corrected as always though.
Agreed, but I'm literally out of options mate so I will try those methods as long as it doesn't damage the pipes. Nothing else I can do to be honest

Hello guys. Glad to say the block has been removed! Before I used any drain cleaners I posted the job on my local and got ONE response back from a plumber who said he'd remove the block for £90. He came in and used a wet vac on the start of the waste pipe where the macerator is and had no luck and believed the block was too deep inside the pipework. So he removed the floors boards and made cuts in different sections of pipe to identify the block. After making the third cut he discovered the block was in the pipe going down vertically from the ensuite master bedroom into the ground floor. Funny enough it wasn't in the elbow joints but more three quarters of the way down the vertical pipe. With the use of some cables and wet vac, he got the block removed. In the end the whole job costed £130 which I thought was very reasonable.

Thanks again for your help! Especially @rpm.

Not a fan of people from that website but glad it is sorted.

Now, what are you going to do about the missues. Stop her pocket money for a month or divorce her. 😂

Not a fan of people from that website but glad it is sorted.

Now, what are you going to do about the missues. Stop her pocket money for a month or divorce her. 😂

That all depends on what I find the next time the toilet is blocked, until then she's off the hook :D

Any particular reason why you're not a fan people on "that" website ? I can see its been replaced with local on my comment 🧐

That all depends on what I find the next time the toilet is blocked, until then she's off the hook :D

Any particular reason why you're not a fan people on "that" website ? I can see its been replaced with local on my comment 🧐
Find that the site attracts very low prices that in the main attracts people of little knowledge. Haha, it`s a form of censorship by the paranoid site owner.

Reply to Grundfos macerator runs for a long time to flush waste in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock