Discuss gas training (igq and acs) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wally5460

Hi, im considering doing my gas starting with the introductory gas qualification course followed by the ACS. Before i part with lots of hard earned money i thought i would ask a few of you about your experiences. My main querie is how much practical on the tools evidence do you need to complete the acs and in what areas do you need it ie boilers, hobs/ovens etc.

any advice would be much appreciated

contact bpec for details of a local supplier of their Gas Foundation Course

Hi, im considering doing my gas starting with the introductory gas qualification course followed by the ACS. Before i part with lots of hard earned money i thought i would ask a few of you about your experiences. My main querie is how much practical on the tools evidence do you need to complete the acs and in what areas do you need it ie boilers, hobs/ovens etc.

any advice would be much appreciated

do u have any related quals?

Well i have just completed portfolio an had to do 30 jobs. This had to be over a range of appliances which you wished to be qualified in. Both install and service. hope this helps

Hi, my personal experience of this route into the industry. Being from a property maintenance background but with no NVQ in plumbing ect, I had a good dig around, company after company OCLI ect want you to part with 5-7K for what! NOTHING!

THe IGQ is an alternative route, I was required to complete a portfolio over a 3 month period, this was on a full time basis, I was lucky enough to find an local engineer who was willing to mentor me.

The portfolio needs to be thorough, I used a service sheet template to record everything I did at the job, gas rates, burner pressure, tightness test, equipotential bonding present, ect, ect! This needs to be accompanied by photographic evidence taken by your mentor with you in the pictures.

Having a portfolio is all well and good, my assesor went through every page, hundreds of them and quized me on many accosions regarding certain jobs, situations and my assesment of the problem, the guy realy put me through my paces but in a respectful way, he had incredible knowledge and was willing to impart if you knew how to listen and show a little respect, sadly most didn't!!

The IGQ was a 5 day cours as I had completed a 3 month portfolio covering all disciplines, If you have less portfolio time the training time goes up. So I had 4 days of practical mixed with the Viper Workbook, you are given 4 mock ACS papers on the 5th day. At this point the assesor will decide if you are in his opinion ready for the ACS.

Two weeks later I completed my ACS in 5 disciplines, the 12 papers associted with the testing can be mind numbing, but they taught me one thing, READ THE MANUAL!!!!!! the information is always there!

Myself personaly feel that yes I am now competant to work with gas, but realise it is a big world out there and a lot to learn within it! I now work as a self employed heating engineer, I put a lot of time into my chosen profession as I am sure most do, also it is not the bed of roses most think it is.

The best point my tutor drummed into me was " DUTY OF CARE " this has served me well.

The IGQ and ACS cost me around £2000, that included Viper books and certification costs. Then you have your £439 Gas Safe Registration fee!!!!!!

I would just add and I am sure most know the costs don't stop there!

To operate as a sole trader in the knowledge that I the customer and myself are coverd my outgoings insurance ect are in excess of £250 pm before I make a penny.

No one knows everything and I always make a point to listen, this is just my take on things, hope it helps

Jay

be careful doing only acs, its a safety licesne that lasts 5 years. if you pay out big bucks, after 5 years its gone

Hi Grasshopper33

Doing my gas qualifications is something I am considering at the moment. I am a self employed plumber and would go down the self employed route

You say "To operate as a sole trader in the knowledge that I the customer and myself are coverd my outgoings insurance ect are in excess of £250 pm before I make a penny"

Am I reading this right are you really paying £250 a month for insurance

thanks

Paul

No Paul, sorry should have made it clearer, what I should have said was, all associated costs with being a sole trader ie van, insurances, reg fees, phones ect: is £250.

The best quote for insurance was direct line, but I would check that they cover Gas Safe Engineers, other companies have policies for gas safe, just make sure you cover your back, you know insurance companies they will do anything to wriggle out of paying

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gas training (igq and acs) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can work with so I can complete my portfolio. I have done level 2 and 3 tech cert along with bpec gas...
Replies
Views
Hi I am looking to gain practical experience with a certified gas engineer. I was in search of an engineer to work with accompanying them to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas industry working in North Sea and further afield operating on high pressure oil and gas plants. This...
Replies
Views
Just an update to anyone who was following the thread on this site: Tify to gas engineer, what will it take? I got a DM from a user asking for an...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock