Currently reading:
Gas hob installation please help

Discuss Gas hob installation please help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumbdoctor

Hi all
i am having a brain freeze moment got a gas hob have not fitted one for years ! Have a 1/2 inch male cylindrical connection, has fibre washer no nut, what fitting do i need so I can connect my 15mm copper to it ? Cos obviously a normal nut and olive would not work.
Cheers peeps

1/2" female iron to copper.

ae235

It says you can use flexible pipe but I'm not wanting to use that, cheers croppie knew it was something simple just the fibre washer it comes with and the thread three me off track

You need the fibre washer, because an traditional MI X Copper has a parallel thread and the hob connection is also a parallel thread, so you will not get a good joint Parallel to parallel unless you use the fibre washer. Common mistake that leads to many hobs leaking on the connection. As previously stated, a flexi is ok if the MI's say so, but not usual practice, I always prefer a ridged pipe.

You need the fibre washer, because an traditional MI X Copper has a parallel thread and the hob connection is also a parallel thread, so you will not get a good joint Parallel to parallel unless you use the fibre washer. Common mistake that leads to many hobs leaking on the connection. As previously stated, a flexi is ok if the MI's say so, but not usual practice, I always prefer a ridged pipe.
What's ridged pipe :)

Thanks guys so as long as I use the fibre washer supplied with a female iron and either gas ptfe or gas jointing compound I should be ok ? Never new about the washer cheers reg man

i always use a fibre washer in the female iron and a smear of paste for luck as said they are parralel threads and paste alone isnt sufficent
to the OP the supplied fibre washer is for the loose nut connection to the hob you need another for the f/i

Taper thread on to parallel thread with paste or unsintered PTFE ok. Parallel thread on to parallel thread is a definite no no unless you have a washer.

one thing to remember is that even tho the manufacturer may state its ok to use a flexible hose the hose must not be exposed to high temps and hang free and with no strain. So if there is a oven fitted underneath you must be certain that the hose does not touch a hot part of the oven or get to hot in the void space, or get put under strain. As most ovens use this space as a vent/cooling route i would say that your better going with copper to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas hob installation please help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock