Discuss Gas has 50-60 years left, is it a dying trade? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fuzzy

With gas reserves estimated to last 50-60 years at current rates is gas a wise choice of career?

Before we get close to that the cost will be so much that we wont be able to afford domestic gas. Thats of course they use coal to create towns gas!

If a 16 year old goes to be a gas fitter, before he retires at 65/70 the gas will have run out?

Not so bad for plumbers who can diversify but for gas fitters is it a wise choice of career?

Seeing it already with oil, customers looking at viable alternatives due to increasing costs, profiteering of the oil companies through the bad weather and the trouble in the middle east.

Have to get into bore holes like they have in Newcastle, seen it on the news this morning. Geothermal.

I think there's a fuzzy line between plumber and gas fitter! LOL

Well I believe people in the industry of heating&plumbing services will become more versatile! If I was starting out now as an installer I'd be down the lines of renewable's! They're called alternative forms of heating just now but it won't be long before gas will be the alternative and the alternatives, now, will be the norm! Ther'll still be a need for repair and maintenance as well as installers whatever the source of 'fuel'! IMHO :thinking:

Is she still alive?

I don't know about 20 years but is certainly a form of energy that'll not be with us for ever! No more ACS!!! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard the sun is going to last 50-60 million years until it finishes. Suppose that means a limited life for solar panels too :confused5:

I dont think running out of gas is the problem as we can always produce methane from dung and rotting vegetation, or as has been stated go back to coal gas the problem is when you burn it and the end result is CO2 and its these emmisions that need to be cut

i know there are other issues surrounding it but i tried to angle this one a different way and such have posted it in gas not renewables.
will the trade survive in its same format for 20 years? i do think the trade will change

Of course the trade will change, just the physical cost of buying a unit of gas will change it, In britain we have been spoiled with cheap north sea gas for years, now we are importing it from places like Norway into Hull via a pipeline and by sea with LNG from russia being landed in wales, just the physical cost of transporting it is going to put the price up and then with the usual tax hikes and political unrest, with out doubt Natural Gas is a dying trade, fortunately I wont see it in my lifetime

i know there are other issues surrounding it but i tried to angle this one a different way and such have posted it in gas not renewables.
will the trade survive in its same format for 20 years? i do think the trade will change

It has to fuzzy. It's like open flue to room sealed .... inevitable. I do believe though that there will always be the installer, plumber and maintenance people who will look after the custards needs!

theres always going to be a need for plumbers, gas fitters who cant plumb will have to do crash courses in plumbing LOL:boxing_smiley:. I keep saying to our apprentices that they need to be swotting up on renewables now as its gonna be the bulk of their work when they start to earn for themselves. This is why we are moving in to the renewables market now before the big uptake of customers and businesses.

I dont think running out of gas is the problem as we can always produce methane from dung and rotting vegetation, or as has been stated go back to coal gas the problem is when you burn it and the end result is CO2 and its these emmisions that need to be cut

you know what a load of balloney!!!

i never have got that reconning in my brain, the worlds governments allow de-forestation allover the world then blame us as people to cut down the co2's?????/7
plantation feed on co2 and give of o2.

by the way, do you think we will ever be able to create our own methane plant in our back yards?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas has 50-60 years left, is it a dying trade? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock