Search the forum,

Discuss Gas has 50-60 years left, is it a dying trade? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fuzzy

With gas reserves estimated to last 50-60 years at current rates is gas a wise choice of career?

Before we get close to that the cost will be so much that we wont be able to afford domestic gas. Thats of course they use coal to create towns gas!

If a 16 year old goes to be a gas fitter, before he retires at 65/70 the gas will have run out?

Not so bad for plumbers who can diversify but for gas fitters is it a wise choice of career?

Seeing it already with oil, customers looking at viable alternatives due to increasing costs, profiteering of the oil companies through the bad weather and the trouble in the middle east.

Have to get into bore holes like they have in Newcastle, seen it on the news this morning. Geothermal.

I think there's a fuzzy line between plumber and gas fitter! LOL

Well I believe people in the industry of heating&plumbing services will become more versatile! If I was starting out now as an installer I'd be down the lines of renewable's! They're called alternative forms of heating just now but it won't be long before gas will be the alternative and the alternatives, now, will be the norm! Ther'll still be a need for repair and maintenance as well as installers whatever the source of 'fuel'! IMHO :thinking:

yes diamondgas, i suspect in 20 years gas engineers will be the thatchers of tomorrow!

Is she still alive?

I don't know about 20 years but is certainly a form of energy that'll not be with us for ever! No more ACS!!! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard the sun is going to last 50-60 million years until it finishes. Suppose that means a limited life for solar panels too :confused5:

Gas has 50-60 years left, is it a dying trade?​ i will be dead then probably as well so wont care:shocked:

I dont think running out of gas is the problem as we can always produce methane from dung and rotting vegetation, or as has been stated go back to coal gas the problem is when you burn it and the end result is CO2 and its these emmisions that need to be cut

i know there are other issues surrounding it but i tried to angle this one a different way and such have posted it in gas not renewables.
will the trade survive in its same format for 20 years? i do think the trade will change

Of course the trade will change, just the physical cost of buying a unit of gas will change it, In britain we have been spoiled with cheap north sea gas for years, now we are importing it from places like Norway into Hull via a pipeline and by sea with LNG from russia being landed in wales, just the physical cost of transporting it is going to put the price up and then with the usual tax hikes and political unrest, with out doubt Natural Gas is a dying trade, fortunately I wont see it in my lifetime

i know there are other issues surrounding it but i tried to angle this one a different way and such have posted it in gas not renewables.
will the trade survive in its same format for 20 years? i do think the trade will change

It has to fuzzy. It's like open flue to room sealed .... inevitable. I do believe though that there will always be the installer, plumber and maintenance people who will look after the custards needs!

theres always going to be a need for plumbers, gas fitters who cant plumb will have to do crash courses in plumbing LOL:boxing_smiley:. I keep saying to our apprentices that they need to be swotting up on renewables now as its gonna be the bulk of their work when they start to earn for themselves. This is why we are moving in to the renewables market now before the big uptake of customers and businesses.

I dont think running out of gas is the problem as we can always produce methane from dung and rotting vegetation, or as has been stated go back to coal gas the problem is when you burn it and the end result is CO2 and its these emmisions that need to be cut

you know what a load of balloney!!!

i never have got that reconning in my brain, the worlds governments allow de-forestation allover the world then blame us as people to cut down the co2's?????/7
plantation feed on co2 and give of o2.

by the way, do you think we will ever be able to create our own methane plant in our back yards?.

I can envision cows strutting around dragging methane collectors from their backsides lol

I think the time scale will be much longer for change but look back and compare.

Combi boilers only 40 years old. System boilers in this country since 1980s and condensing boilers here only a few years. 50 years ago it was all back boilers.
1960/70 people though warm air was the bees knees but it didn't take off
In most of the USA warm air IS the bees knees - they don't understand radiators.

So heating systems have always been changing and will continue to do so at a remarkably slow pace!
And I think technologies will change so what really does become the dominant heating model of the future is unpredictable.

I said on similar thread, hubby & are are in our 40s but with little kids we could still be at work for 20-30 years! I am confident that gas central heating as we know it will continue to be the main form of heating in British homes throughout my working life time.

you know what a load of balloney!!!

i never have got that reconning in my brain, the worlds governments allow de-forestation allover the world then blame us as people to cut down the co2's?????/7
plantation feed on co2 and give of o2.

by the way, do you think we will ever be able to create our own methane plant in our back yards?.

your absolutely right Redsaw but it is just a thought and no I do not think we would be producing gas on a domestic scale.

AGW is a myth. The whole C02 gimmick is unproven. The whole theory is based on the sun as a constant. The sun is not a constant. C02 levels on the planet have been fluctuating for millions of years. We've only started measuring from last century. How can we make comparisons?! Conclusion: Beaurocracy makes a bloody fortune.

with so much effort going into it the governments dont think its a myth, so this is a red herring, change will happen myth or not

I keep hearing that Gas will not be going into new builds after a certain date I spoke to Gas Safe about 6 months ago about this and they denied all knowledge of it but I will bring this question up when I go to the meeting on the 18/7/11

It benefits gov'ts to be seen to comply. And employ biased research facilities to produce statistics in their favour. Current practices are not sustainable. They make money, businesses make money, therefore it's good for the economy so it's a good thing. That doesn't detract from the facts. C02 is not proven to be on the rise due to fossil fuels. It that has nothing to do with AGW. The argument for and against is dependent many times on what people want to believe and what sounds most convincing. It's an a priori really. I am not convinced. I'm agnostic.

We were told oil would run out decades ago. Think about the economics. As gas (and oil) become more scarce values rise. As values rise sources that were previously uneconomic become viable and so more becomes available. Also, as mentioned, there's a lot of talk about biogas being introduced as a green alternative. Gas use will certainly reduce with the introduction of renewables but I think it'll be here for a long while yet!

we have ample coal reserves, no crisis there, its natural gas which we have far less of, or its so difficult to get at its not cost effective.

the are alternatives, but which ever way we go natural gas will not be around for ever. I estimate 20-30 years based on reserves of 50-60 years at best. the op asked about gas fitters, i know plumbers will diversify naturally. gas fitters less so, will the trade stop? isolated gas fitters i mean

we have ample coal reserves, no crisis there, its natural gas which we have far less of, or its so difficult to get at its not cost effective.

the are alternatives, but which ever way we go natural gas will not be around for ever. I estimate 20-30 years based on reserves of 50-60 years at best. the op asked about gas fitters, i know plumbers will diversify naturally. gas fitters less so, will the trade stop? isolated gas fitters i mean

Fuzzy, can I ask why you think gas fitters are less likely to diversify?

My friend is a gas engineer (the one who may help me get on the ladder) and he has been busy getting new qualifications in refridgeration recently at college and has now gained the required qualifications to work. He is lucky however as he works for the maintenance contracter for a large supermarket chain and therefore had easy access to refridgeration on a daily basis.

Being someone who is considering investing my time and money in becomming a gas engineer this news is worrying to say the least!

Fuzzy, can I ask why you think gas fitters are less likely to diversify?

Of course, i think plumbers already diversify, into gas, renewables, oil or what ever it takes. Gas engineers are imo experts in gas and better than most plumbers at the all round gas work. So from the two, one already diversifies and one doesnt. Dont mean they wont i just feel its more of a change for them than plumbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas has 50-60 years left, is it a dying trade? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock