Search the forum,

Discuss Gas fire opening unusual in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

neily01

Wanted to get thoughts of you good people on a gas fire opening. Im guessing there was previously there was a bbu installed which has since been replaced with a vaillant ecotech 415 and a gas fire back inside the old opening. There is a liner hanging into the fire opening with a abestolux sheet fitted to seal around the liner, also abestolux strips used to reduce the opening from 18" to 16". Look forward to your replies.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 26
There's probably a half decent chimney behind that mess if you rip the board down and pull the flue out. It's A.R though as the openings not sealed.

Yep done a spillage test just out of interest and it failed but wasnt going back on what ever. Just never seen anything like it, some one had spent a bit of time doing it wrong as far as i can tell. Fires not going back in, but wondering if this happens often?

Did think liner could be removed and chimney would prob be fine, old flitton bricks so hard as nails. But why didnt previous engineer do it not really that hard, abit of repairing inside as you say. What about the abestloux giller pieces? They added the fillers with flue silicone yet forgot to seal between the back panel and opening.

Is the fire making a seal on these filler pieces?

They probably did it as they didn't want to get up on the roof to take the liner out, and didn't know what else to do with it!

how olds the house, could even be a clay lined chimney?

Spilling fumes then ID .... otherwise you have to weigh up the install. Might look dodgy but as long as the catchment space is sealed with adequate materials and the fire is otherwise working safely, what's the issue? You ever seen a five piece tin plate and lathe surround? Now that's going back some years :)

Hi Neily my old buddy. Chimney opening is a mess. What's it say in the BS's? Smooth taper opening into the flue. A flat plate with in liner sticking through is a nasty cheap short cut that does not meet the requirements.

Old house 60's new fire, think it went in with the boiler. Vaillant ecotech 415 the just dosent work at all as hex blocked (standard!) old rads old system no chance! Left him with no fire and barely warm htg and wife 6 months preggers but it is what it is, cant be to safe.

Old house 60's new fire, think it went in with the boiler. Vaillant ecotech 415 the just dosent work at all as hex blocked (standard!) old rads old system no chance! Left him with no fire and barely warm htg and wife 6 months preggers but it is what it is, cant be to safe.
How many months have you been dealing with this job?:yesnod:

Is the fire making a seal on these filler pieces?

They probably did it as they didn't want to get up on the roof to take the liner out, and didn't know what else to do with it!

how olds the house, could even be a clay lined chimney?
Closure plates sits on the fillers pretty well and seals onto the old metal trim well just seems wrong

If it passes its AR surely? And be honest if its pulling its ok.

apart from it looking a right pigs ear of a fit first thing that hits me is they have used the liner off the old BBU,so it has another 15 years life then?

Spilling fumes then ID .... otherwise you have to weigh up the install. Might look dodgy but as long as the catchment space is sealed with adequate materials and the fire is otherwise working safely, what's the issue? You ever seen a five piece tin plate and lathe surround? Now that's going back some years :)
Catchment not sealed but could be easy enough, like reg man said the lack of a smooth tapered opening just dosnt sit well, 5 piece tin plate and lathe? New to me dg cant wait to see one

apart from it looking a right pigs ear of a fit first thing that hits me is they have used the liner off the old BBU,so it has another 15 years life then?
More than a little bit naughty id say, probably done 15 years already. But the weird bit is it prob just needed removing all together anyway.

5 piece tin plate and lathe? New to me dg cant wait to see one
You'll be fortunate neily01 :) We use to form them around large openings for gas fires. Literally plate screwed to wood lathe to infill a large fireplace opening! No tape or seals but then there was a 9" chimney somewhere above... :) Thing that bothers me is that if you have a real good flue pull that removes products of combustion and otherwise leaves no issues regards safety then why have a concern? Sure a hive of bee's could make a home in the copes then you're fkd, otherwise the appliance is working safely... Approaching to install new then you'd be wanting to remove etc. however face value and safety wise if it's removing the pocs and the catchment space is sealed, what's the issue ... maybe I'm reading too much into this? but it bothers me that folk seem to becoming more and more scared of anything open flued? ..... IMHO :)

You'll be fortunate neily01 :) We use to form them around large openings for gas fires. Literally plate screwed to wood lathe to infill a large fireplace opening! No tape or seals but then there was a 9" chimney somewhere above... :) Thing that bothers me is that if you have a real good flue pull that removes products of combustion and otherwise leaves no issues regards safety then why have a concern? Sure a hive of bee's could make a home in the copes then you're fkd, otherwise the appliance is working safely... Approaching to install new then you'd be wanting to remove etc. however face value and safety wise if it's removing the pocs and the catchment space is sealed, what's the issue ... maybe I'm reading too much into this? but it bothers me that folk seem to becoming more and more scared of anything open flued? ..... IMHO :)
No problems with o/f and love getting my hands on an old boiler for a good old scrub up just seems like alot of work to not take out a flue liner and make correct.

You say no tape or seals dg and was thinking today about how much we use flue silicone nowadays it seems like it was only 5 minutes ago that plumbs started selling it.

Hope all is going well for the son reg man. What merchant do you use around here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Neily. Son doing just fine, 6 months in with current major company and learning fast. I don't use any merchants as practicing retirement. But have dealt with Spec flues on an educational level.

last one i saw similar to that was knocking the custard out every evening, so ripped out the liner, popped on a pot and sealed the holes in the opening and it worked a treat thereafter.

the fire was builder installed but no name forthcoming so no point in riddoring it.

So the gas pipe needs protecting from corrosion (it's in a chimney) and a clip wouldn't kill any one. The liner and closer plate are ID as they are not the correct flue for the appliance . Also as over 15years old they should have been removed and a new one installed if required. Also pot change and ventilation.

Gather should only be used with a new liner. And unless fire is a direct connection to liner you need a gather. IMHO

You say no tape or seals dg and was thinking today about how much we use flue silicone nowadays it seems like it was only 5 minutes ago that plumbs started selling it.

Thankfully I don't install that much these days! Too many regulations to adhere too!! lol ... tell you what does my nut in! Closureplates stuck back with silicon !!!! WHY??? Grrrrrr....!!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas fire opening unusual in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock