Currently reading:
Gas boilers scrapped by 2050?

Discuss Gas boilers scrapped by 2050? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Jones82

Gas Engineer
Just heard on the news about the Uk's ambitious climate change targets, of which one of them was to scrap gas boilers by 2050.

On one hand its 30 years into the distant future but on the other there's still the question of system design, as I understand it new boilers, air source for example work at lower temperatures so require larger pipe work or underfloor heating.

It made me think of a a current job I'm pricing, the house is 30 years old designed with conventional radiators, the customer asked me about replacing the boiler with a more modern technology but I don't think the existing system would work with an air source boiler so your looking at a full re-pipe or installation of underfloor heating through out. The look on the guys face was a picture, its just not practical to start lifting all the floors and fully redesigning the heating system.

Steadily hearing more and more about scrapping gas boilers but I'm not hearing about a replacement non gas boiler that would retrofit into our old heating systems.

Thoughts....

I spoke to a colleague who had a gas safe inspection. And he said he thought hydrogen is coming. How would this work, all new appliances? That can run off hydrogen?
To be fair, we all think hydrogen is coming next. The fact that a gas safe inspector also thinks this kinda means nothing. I was speaking to a mate of mine today regarding the futire of gas and he said he recently had a visit round the ideal factory. He spoke about the future of gas with them and was told that currently ideal are still heavily investing in gas boilers. Also that they haven't been given any formal info regarding the future use of gas. Yes something new will have to take over gas but what and when is still anyones guess.

To be fair, we all think hydrogen is coming next. The fact that a gas safe inspector also thinks this kinda means nothing. I was speaking to a mate of mine today regarding the futire of gas and he said he recently had a visit round the ideal factory. He spoke about the future of gas with them and was told that currently ideal are still heavily investing in gas boilers. Also that they haven't been given any formal info regarding the future use of gas. Yes something new will have to take over gas but what and when is still anyones guess.

Of course they are still investing heavily in gas its staying here

Reply to Gas boilers scrapped by 2050? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock