Discuss Free boilers for pensioners with Government’s boiler grants scheme advice sought in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetdrip

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi guys, my Mother-in-Law's just had her boiler replaced under this scheme.
However, the boiler was showing zero pressure and had be be restarted by the installers on two occasions.
The problem is a leak from one of the upstairs rads.
The installer arrived on Friday and explained he'd turned off the offending rad and informed his office of the problem.
My Mother-in-Law has contacted the firm today and asked when they'd be coming out to address the problem.
They informed her that this problem wasn't covered under the replacement scheme; however they would come out and fix the problem at a cost of £99.

My question is: is this right, or should the problem have been noticed during the power flush and fixed prior to installing the new replacement boiler, under the scheme, as they would have known pressure would drop to zero?

Has it been changed from open vented to a sealed system?

Sealed system.They,if memory serves had one boiler running the heating and another the water.
A boiler upstairs in the bathroom and another in the kitchen.
Both removed by the firm doing the replacement, so re-piped in places too.

If he's isolated the radiator and cured the fault it probably would have taken an extra 15 minutes to fix it unless the radiator has failed. If the later then I doubt it would be covered otherwise the installation company are taking on a can of worms with every replacement they undertake.

Can't see them replacing a radiator for £99 though so assume its a relatively straight forward fix. You'll need to liaise with the company as no one will know what the contract covers in a situation like this.

If he's isolated the radiator and cured the fault it probably would have taken an extra 15 minutes to fix it unless the radiator has failed. If the later then I doubt it would be covered otherwise the installation company are taking on a can of worms with every replacement they undertake.

Can't see them replacing a radiator for £99 though so assume its a relatively straight forward fix. You'll need to liaise with the company as no one will know what the contract covers in a situation like this.

Wouldn't all contracts of this type be homogeneous i.e. the same for every firm under the government contract scheme?

with the government contract scheme they are only there to do the boiler, tbh depending what was wrong i would of just repaired it there and then unless the rad had pin holed

The problem is a leak from one of the upstairs rads.
Was the leak from the actual rad or from one of the valves?

should the problem have been noticed during the power flush and fixed prior to installing the new replacement boiler
The pressure in the system, when a power flush is carried out, would not be high enough to cause a leak; but it should have been found when the system was commissioned.

They informed her that this problem wasn't covered under the replacement scheme; however they would come out and fix the problem at a cost of £99.
They still have an obligation to provide your mother with a working system which is fit for purpose. I would contact the local Council's Trading Standards Dept and ask their advice.

As far as logic goes, they should leave the occupant with a working system.
What good is the boiler replacement if it is not working? You take on the job, you assume the responsibility. They may isolate the offending rad (as they claim they have) to ensure thesystem is usable then ''negotiate'' a repair at an agreed price, but the fact they have visited TWICE, means something doesn't quite add up.
Report them, I'd say.

Or the fact they have returned twice shows they are not trying to shy away from their responsibilities to leave the customer with heating and hot water, but also do not want to take on the liability of the entire existing system.

seems fair enough given the limited information we have on the leak.

Or the fact they have returned twice shows they are not trying to shy away from their responsibilities to leave the customer with heating and hot water, but also do not want to take on the liability of the entire existing system.

seems fair enough given the limited information we have on the leak.

All I can tell you is, as I've not been to see the leak: when the sales guy first came to case the job; he informed her that what ever need replacing would be replaced: pipes rad or rads etc.
In a word or three: fit-for-purpose.
Some other guy, I take it from the gov then comes and photographs every room including attic; then you wait for the install date phone call.
Install completed but not tickety-boo
Whether the leak's from the rad or a valve is surely incidental; it's still a leak that should have been sorted as per first contact sales speak given.

All I can tell you is, as I've not been to see the leak: when the sales guy first came to case the job; he informed her that what ever need replacing would be replaced: pipes rad or rads etc.
In a word or three: fit-for-purpose.
Some other guy, I take it from the gov then comes and photographs every room including attic; then you wait for the install date phone call.
Install completed but not tickety-boo
Whether the leak's from the rad or a valve is surely incidental; it's still a leak that should have been sorted as per first contact sales speak given.
the something for nothing culture never fails , i have been a technical surveyor on eco since day one , i will be very clear on the rules providing the process has been done correctly , contact made eligibility checked epc carried out job surveyed by a technical surveyor it is the tech surveyor who decides what is to be done via your funding that has been decided the energy obligation is initially for boiler only you are entitled to nothing else at all , most good installers will make you sign a disclaimer which should state that they have no responsibility for anything outwith what they have fitted that is fact however if you got your installation was installed by an installer employed directly by an energy company some do allow for such events but not all , if you can tell me who supplied the funding i can help , if you merely did it through a doorstep salesman youre probably on your own for replacing the rad as the installer is not at fault.

I install for a firm who fit for this scheme. We are told just to isolate radiator if it has pin holed. Where was the leak? Who did the installation? To be fair you've just had a new boiler supplied and fit for nothing.

It's the same as if any firm fit a new boiler.... A leaking radiator is unforseable, and is a chargeable extra...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Free boilers for pensioners with Government’s boiler grants scheme advice sought in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back