Discuss Flues in voids: inspection hatches in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gogdog

I maintain about a dozen p/max 155 x , (joy) management agents and landlords all aware of upcoming rgs Jan 2012. I,ve done some research on types and costing,any of you guys have personal experience to suggest a particular brand , fitting without too much grief.I notice there is a company who installs 3 for about 450+ the dreaded.
I thank you

Usually the pmax has a cover than can be unscrewed going up the wall from boiler. Where does it go after that?

Reccomened an upgrade thou. Im not a massive fan. And with the amount a fatalitys linked to them....
Its your call

Thanks pal ,i wasn`t clear its the hatches i was reffering to not the boilers.

I worked for a company who had a council contract and were doing a retrospective program of fitting hatches to hidden flues. They were using plastic hatch covers that you can get from screwfix or b&q for about 15-20 pounds. Gas safe had a look and said they were fine to use. about 200mmx180mm with a hinged door. No problems fitting as you just cut a hole in the plasterboard or wood to fit it.

They can't really use plastic hatches unless they're fire rated. They want 60 minute fire resistance. Couple I've done were with fireboard cut slightly larger than the hole cut with a padsaw.

They can't really use plastic hatches unless they're fire rated. They want 60 minute fire resistance. Couple I've done were with fireboard cut slightly larger than the hole cut with a padsaw.

And where did you here that one?
Half inch gyproc which is what is fitted in 90% of houses is only half hour rated.
Fire door hatches with intumescent strips :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
And where did you here that one?
Half inch gyproc which is what is fitted in 90% of houses is only half hour rated.
Fire door hatches with intumescent strips :lol:

Tamz

How about TB008 Flues in Voids?: "Inspection hatches installed to provide access to an existing chimney system in a void should have one hour fire resistance for residential buildings....".

Technical Bulletins are wonderful bedtime reading full of 'get out of jail cards' :winkiss:

so we need inspection hatches no probs with flues in voids i can see the reasoning but they have TO BE FIRE RATED,and no one makes them,yes a typical not thought trough reg,if its a HE version though why cant we use plastic inspection hatches?after all the flues are plastic???????????? WHY NOT THE HATCHES

I think it will be mainly aimed at flats etc where the flue is passing through another property or stairwell / passageway.
It would not make any difference in a single dwelling.

Are we to note/classify if we come across hatches that are not 60 min fire resistant?

We are doing a programme of risk assessment now and identifying where they are in our housing stock. Mostly the flues are tucked away in decorative boxing that has nowt to do with the fabric of the building, so the hatches I put in there will have no fire resistance. We also have them traversing the underside of balconies external in wooden boxing ... again, no fire resistance hatches.

We do have one block of flats where the flues go between floors and in that case we will use one hour fire resistant hatches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flues in voids: inspection hatches in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON...
Replies
Views
Back