Discuss Flue proximity to window in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

swimorsink

Hi all,

My neighbour is concerned about the location of the flue from my boiler as he believes there is a chance that carbon monoxide may enter through his bedroom window. The boiler was installed circa 1996 and is a wall hung Ideal Classic FF260 with a fan assisted flue. The boiler was inspected last year, the engineer did a visual inspection of the flue but didn't raise any concerns.

Photograph here:
2015-01-16%2016.07.12.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vrpf1l01zj0ypi1/2015-01-16 16.07.12.jpg

My questions are:
Is it unsafe / is there anything I can do to satisfy my neighbour that it is?
If it is unsafe, do I have any options to remedy the situation other than installing a new boiler? e.g. additional duct work.

I'm not Gas Safe Registered and will be getting a Gas Safe registered engineer to carry out any work!

thanks,
J

That's a funny one as most have to be 300 away from opening but that's generaly when the opening is on the same wall. I know worcester have one where it's 600 away from a window on another wall or at an angle .. Check your manufacturers guidelines in your boiler instalation manual but I say your safe enough

Considering the flue gasses on an old boiler will be at a temperature of around 260°C it's highly unlikely that any products of combustion will drop to that window.

Thanks for the replies. I checked the installation manual and the minimum spacings stipulated by the manufacturer are:

Table 3 - Balanced flue terminal position

Terminal PositionMinimum Spacing
1. Directly below or alongside an opening
window, air vent or other ventilation opening
300 mm. (12")
2. Below guttering, drain pipes or soil
pipes
25 mm. (1")
3. Below eaves25 mm. (1")
4. Below balconies or a car port roof25 mm. (1")
5. From vertical drain pipes or soil pipes25 mm. (1")
6. From internal or external corners25 mm. (1")
7. Above adjacent ground, roof or balcony level300 mm. (12")
8. From a surface facing the terminal600 mm. (24")
9. From a terminal facing a terminal1200 mm. (48")
10. From an opening in a car port
(e.g. door or window) into dwelling
1200 mm (48")
11. Vertically from a terminal on the same wall1500 mm (60")
12. Horizontally from a terminal on the wall300 mm (12")

As I read it, my issue isn't specifically called out in the table - and I'm not qualified to 'interpret' how it does translate in to my specific scenario.

I spoke to my neighbour this morning and he has just told me that when he had his boiler serviced in December, the engineer told him that my vent was illegal. So I'm thinking that engineer could have been referring to the fact that the vent effectively hangs over his property (and probably shouldn't) and not necessarily that it's unsafe???

He's having a laugh, if he's flapping about it tell him to fit a CO detector at the window if it *EVER*goes off, you'll talk about it ;)

So it's taken 19 years for your neighbour to raise concerns

Yes - we've been living here for 17 years, but have sold the house getting close to contract exchange. Could be problematic for my sale, so trying to satisfy him that he hasn't got anything to worry about.

Do you guys have no regulations regarding clearances in direction of discharge?

Classic FF Heat only boiler MIs no mention of min distance from front of flue, only gives 300 below a opening, nothing about above , as this one is, he could be getting a slight smell depending on weather conditions , What's the 15mm pipe close to flue ?

Classic FF Heat only boiler MIs no mention of min distance from front of flue, only gives 300 below a opening, nothing about above , as this one is, he could be getting a slight smell depending on weather conditions , What's the 15mm pipe close to flue ?

prv pipe

They did a system boiler with pump and vessel hidden above boiler with an ugly box around it

So its discharging over his property ? ... Not allowed in my book. But at time of installation may be o.k

Would be an issue if a recent install but boiler been in 20 years with no concern.
I would be telling neighbour in polite way to run and jump. If concerned at all tell them to fit carbon monoxide alarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flue proximity to window in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock