Discuss Feed and Vent fun :DDDDD in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Open vented system must have vent from flow on boiler before any other connection.

Virtually all open vent systems (except gravity to cylinder) I know of in my area are done with the vent off the flow at cylinder and feed off the cyl return.
Pump is at boiler. They usually work fine, but some factors make it likely to pump over if cylinder is close to boiler and pump on a non zoned system, or where many rads and zones turn off.

What if you reverse the flow and return under the pump in your diagram and have the pump pushing into the boiler? Also reverse the feed and vent so vent remains the first tee after the boiler? Negative pressure system, and microleaks at rad valves will let air in etc, but would be safer than your diagram.

ive decided to put the pump on the return and keep the feed and vent to spec if it does pump over will give him the option to leave or seal it

Excellent!

An old boy told me the pump will last longer if it is running on the cooler return water, hence the old way of doing it with the pump on the return. Don't bleed the rads with the pump running, though ;)

Nos da

Excellent!

An old boy told me the pump will last longer if it is running on the cooler return water, hence the old way of doing it with the pump on the return. Don't bleed the rads with the pump running, though ;)

Nos da

cyfaill hen nos dda

I’d go with a robokit and pressurise the system, never seen it cause the pipework to fail, and if it stays open vent the air in the system will cause bigger problems in time.

Normally no inserts used
Seen that happen Shaun quite a few times bud i had the same issue with the Worcester classic system I posted on here couple of months a go pipework was poorly installed cast your mind back I sealed it but as I said the working pressure was set to a bar not much more than a open vent system worcesters dont work on a pressure switch so you can run it on low system head low as 0.5 bar worth considering bud good luck kop

20180409_093124.jpg

20180413_143654.jpg

20180409_092357.jpg

20180413_152919.jpg

20180406_105340.jpg

20180519_100223.jpg

Excellent!

Nos da

I do a lot of plumbing repair jobs, and you are correct about pumps lasting on the return much longer. I noticed over the years that pumps on oil boilers fitted to the return where lasting 20 or more years and their rubber washers weren’t perishing.

Nice rads kop

ive decided to put the pump on the return and keep the feed and vent to spec if it does pump over will give him the option to leave or seal it
That wasn't one of your original options, but that would be OK.
Should then be open vent - cold feed - pump - boiler. You definitely don't want the cold feed on the discharge side of the pump or there's a good chance there will be negative pressure somewhere, if pump DP is 8m.
As I'm sure you know, the open vent and cold feed should be no more than 150mm apart to avoid risk of over-pumping, but where they are in the circuit relative to other kit is irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Feed and Vent fun :DDDDD in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock