Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
So can anyone explain this?

The Durgo?

Looked at my pipes & I don't have one.

What do they actually do & why fit them?

Cheers

So can anyone explain this?

The Durgo?

Looked at my pipes & I don't have one.

What do they actually do & why fit them?

Cheers

same as an air admittance valve

Lets air into a stack but doesn't let the stink out, basically a one way valve so that the stack doesn't vacuum.

For some reason it sticks in my memory that 1 in 6 stacks on a line must vent to atmosphere.

Used where difficult or impractical to vent to atmosphere.

So, as an example, on my house I don't have any aav.

The waste water from bathroom goes into one stack outside which then extends up over gutters.

The kitchen waste goes into another stack where toilet waste also goes & again stretches up above gutter.

I take it the height takes smells away?

But I have no AAV.

So, while I have you, can a faulty aav/Durgo cause an air lock in say a kitchen sink so it won't drain? But if the Durgo is undone it will
Drain.

Yes, can do or a blockage.

You can get a dodgy durgo in say a cloakroom that the basin and toilet goes into. If theres an issue with the durgo it can suck the basin trap out when the toilet is flushed. But if boxed in the boxing needs to be vented or that can affect the durgo.

Had a stinky cloakroom, took the boxing off the stub stack and it was just an open 4" pipe.

Yes, can do or a blockage.

You can get a dodgy durgo in say a cloakroom that the basin and toilet goes into. If theres an issue with the durgo it can suck the basin trap out when the toilet is flushed. But if boxed in the boxing needs to be vented or that can affect the durgo.

Had a stinky cloakroom, took the boxing off the stub stack and it was just an open 4" pipe.

+1 had one left off in a school once after re furb smelt like damp fish for ages

It's quite confusing when & why to fit one!

I mean unless you have external soil pipes then you need a Durgo / aav?

Not necessarily, you may have to still vent to atmosphere if there's no other stacks venting to atmosphere on the line.

unless you dont have external you can fit one but remember the 6 houses rule

Mmmm... But how do you know if houses have them if they're internal?

My mum ex council house, 60's build. Soil stack goes in house & into ground. Never seen an aav/Durgo there. It's a terraced house so they're all the same.

Mmmm... But how do you know if houses have them if they're internal?

My mum ex council house, 60's build. Soil stack goes in house & into ground. Never seen an aav/Durgo there. It's a terraced house so they're all the same.

you should either see one in every six with a vent or all vent as its 60s will be vented prob cast as well

Yes, it's cast, maybe it's in the loft, I'll look Sunday.

Going to bottom this out this week so it sinks in, now a bit confusing!

Maybe once again I'm over thinking it

As said 1 in every 6 houses on the line or the last house on the line must have open vent
And aav or durgo is so save the need to extend a vent up through the house say if you add an additional bathroom or en suite to an existing house,

And yes they will help if a sink is getting air locks although usually its because of a blockage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Durgo in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock