Discuss Does anyone know what one of these it ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, thanks for all the responses - most helpful.

I lifted the manhole cover next to the clay glazed pipe and I can see the main house sewer at the bottom about 5 feet below the cover. There is also a 3" (or so) hole in the side of the wall of the sewer access (1ft below the manhole cover) which is the exit for the clay glazed pipe I found (checked by pouring water down as suggested). The clay glazed pipe is only 3ft or so from the sewer access.

From what everyone is saying above it is sounding like this is simply an air vent for the sewer as you have very easy access to the sewer from the manhole cover if you ever needed to clear/rod anything. Someone told me most things made of iron were removed from our street in the war (railings etc) so any metal pipe covers might have gone too I would guess.

I guess my options are either to purchase a sewer vent cover like the one mentioned or to simply permanently block the pipe into the sewer access (concrete/cement or similar) and then smash up the pipe above the surface as it sounds from the comments like these were put in in Victorian times to provide a vent for gas build up but are not needed these days (my particular one was completely blocked by soil until I cleared it yesterday so pretty certain it wasn't venting anything).

Cheers
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Does anyone know what one of these it ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock