Search the forum,

Discuss Do you still do plumbing once gas safe registered? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Question for the plumbers turned gas engineers.

Do you still carry out plumbing repairs, bathroom installations, etc. I still do but getting fed up of being stuck on a bathroom job and losing the gas work as I'm fully booked. Been gas safe for around 5 years now.
Took someone on to do the plumbing side but he takes ages doing bathrooms and is no where near as quick or as good at plumbing as me. I have gone through around 5 plumbers in the last 2 years but just seems like headache all the time. Thinking of stopping the plumbing altogether and just doing heating but didn't want to waste the hard work of the reputation I've built and also have some very good contracts with managing agents who provide me with loads of work but can be a mixture of plumbing, heating and property maintenance as they prefer to use 1 company to carry out the whole job. Do you guys still do plumbing? Do you employ others or have you quit plumbing and just do heating?

Yep still do both and other stuff just learn to say no to bathrooms unless very good clients ?

Just two of us

There's a lot to be said for not having all your eggs in one basket.

Getting through 5 plumbers in two years seems high. I'd want to do something about that. You might find the discussion in this thread gives you some ideas:

There's a lot to be said for not having all your eggs in one basket.

Getting through 5 plumbers in two years seems high. I'd want to do something about that. You might find the discussion in this thread gives you some ideas:

Yea I've read that post. I dony mind giving them more time than I expect I would complete it in but customers aren't that understanding especially landlords who are waiting to rent the property out

People leave for all sorts of reasons but if 5 guys flounced out in 2 years I'd be wondering if I was cut out for management.
No one is ever as careful as you, its not their business. Let it go.
You have to offer a full range of services imo.
Especially if you want to push on and grow.
Some of my gold plated customers are with me coz I unblocked their toilet 7 years ago.
Sub out the refurb work?

People leave for all sorts of reasons but if 5 guys flounced out in 2 years I'd be wondering if I was cut out for management.
No one is ever as careful as you, its not their business. Let it go.
You have to offer a full range of services imo.
Especially if you want to push on and grow.
Some of my gold plated customers are with me coz I unblocked their toilet 7 years ago.
Sub out the refurb work?
1 left due to becoming ill he was an older guy.
1 had a mid life crisis, Split with his wife and moved away.
1 expected a massive pay rise once he got his gas safe even though he had no experience in boilers.
The other 2 I sacked them.

To offer a full range of services I definitely will need to employ more staff as I just have too much work and can't cope.

1 left due to becoming ill he was an older guy.
1 had a mid life crisis, Split with his wife and moved away.
1 expected a massive pay rise once he got his gas safe even though he had no experience in boilers.
The other 2 I sacked them.

To offer a full range of services I definitely will need to employ more staff as I just have too much work and can't cope.
You need to find other self employed tradesmen in a similar situation you help each other out when needed , no one is going to work as hard or as fast as you will just need to accept that , I still do both gas and plumbing work but without a doubt gas work will bring in more profit, I know a few engineers who just do gas and do very well out of it . Kop

Reply to Do you still do plumbing once gas safe registered? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock