Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Do you chase up old quotes? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rickster123

Hi all just a quick question.

If you've quoted for a boiler swap on the Monday and you haven't heard anything for a week or so do you follow it up with a phone call or email or not bother? I only ask because I'm sure I've missed out on jobs because guys are ringing up to see if their quote has been beaten and then beating the best price. Your views would be great?

I always chase then up. Some people say that it makes you look desperate for work. I just think it is good customer skills.
But if they start saying things like I can get the job done cheaper, then I either say bye bye, or as I have done on a few occasions ask to see whether the cheaper quote, is the same work as my quote, same boiler etc.
Nine times out if ten it isnt. This then gives you scope to adjust the price accordingly, if you so wish.

My merchant badgers me all the time on the phone so it seems in general, that's what most folk do in business

Big jobs I give em two weeks from submitting estimate, then I phone and ask if my price was any good. I won't negotiate but do try to find out how much I missed it by so I can look at how I price jobs.

Some times I ring up, but to ask if the quote was clear and have they got ant queries. I find it's a way find out if you've got the job without sounding to desperate.

I can see both aspects of this:

1. Customer not being quoted like for like, so, gives you the opportunity to re-quote on cheaper boiler or re-iterorate what your providing.

2. Customer doesn't like you, unbelievable I know but other person has the gift of the gab etc.

I never chase a quote because if I have to start negotiting on price etc it gets on my ****! I won't want the job then.

Difference is when a supplier calls you they are offering you something, discounts, buy of the month, free toastie this sweetens the call and makes there job easier to call you.

The other part of it: you go and look at a job, get a vibe, don't want it for whatever reason, explain that your busy and you'll put a quote in the post in a week or so. You have no intention of doing this, your just being polite! what do you do when the customer calls you and says 'wheres my quote'

Thanks for the replies. I do feel it would look a bit desperate to call but hate the thought of missing out on work for the sake of a phone call. Squirrel I've had a job where I've gone to quote, not fancied it so didn't rush it to them and they chased me for it. Turned out to be a fantastic earner!!

Thanks for the replies. I do feel it would look a bit desperate to call but hate the thought of missing out on work for the sake of a phone call. Squirrel I've had a job where I've gone to quote, not fancied it so didn't rush it to them and they chased me for it. Turned out to be a fantastic earner!!

I agree here, if theres a job where you just don't want it, you don't like it etc (you don't have a bad feeling about the customer) then you go in with a reasonably silly price, woo hoo your on a winner.

Trouble is here, what did everyone else quote.....

If I don't want a job or got a funny feeling then the price shoots up. If I then get it I'm happy enough working for a lot extra. Priced one up quite a few weeks ago, they wanted price in a hurry, everything is provided bar the pipe and fittings, full bathroom, tiling, new shower, strip out conventional cylinder and new unvented in loft. Did it on a scrap of paper, then plus 300 for the fact no profit on materials. Two hours later job was mine. He's happy, I'm happy and hopefully still happy when it's finished (starting tomorrow).

I put on my quote forms:
Quotations are valid for 2 weeks. To secure this discounted quotation please reply within this 2 week period.

Usually works and the word discount speeds things along as they are afraid of missing out on it and the next quote being more expensive.

Like it. Have now changed the pro forma for my estimates and taken off valid for 30 days.

I put on my quote forms:
Quotations are valid for 2 weeks. To secure this discounted quotation please reply within this 2 week period.

Usually works and the word discount speeds things along as they are afraid of missing out on it and the next quote being more expensive.

Great idea! Thanks for that I'm going to give it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Do you chase up old quotes? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, So I did a job for a customer recently which involved swapping out an incredibly dangerous and poorly installed unvented hot water...
Replies
Views
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/12/the-heat-pump-farce-has-finally-been-exposed/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr I realise not...
Replies
Views
Hello I want to replace the old single panel rad in the bedroom with a K2 double panel Stelrad one. I think I'm OK in general and relatively...
Replies
Views
I'm sure this is an old question but here goes. I'm looking for some advice regarding switching from a conventional boiler to a combi. I moved...
Replies
Views
Okay. So I have a ground floor shop and second floor flat for sale (potentially). No major need to get shot of them, but not a lot of point...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock