Search the forum,

Discuss Do I need to inform Building Control of new unvented indirect cylinder? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gromit

Hello all. Had a cylinder recently fitted and checked by G3 qualified guy. He's filled in the Benchmark checklist at the back of the cylinder instructions and given it to me. The checklisthas a section asking for a Building Regulations compliant certificate number.

So I called Building Control and they said I didn't need to inform them as a qualified bonafied guy had filled in the Benchmark commissioning checklist. Is this correct?

mmm done one last month and although i am qualified me the installer notified building control

can you clarify something? you said you had an unvented cylinder fitted and then checked by a qualified guy, i take this as one fitted and one checked, if so i assume the fitter wasnt qualified, thats not a good start, if not, then the qualified guy is certified to fit and no building control involvement is required

I was worried too. Qualified guy rocked up to check over - I asked after fitters who he said had gone to new job. Mentioned this on a previous thread - I was worried enough to get independent guy in who said all looked ok. Anyway, the sign off is from qualified guy (I checked him out on the Gas Safe site and he does hold an unvented ticket). Anyway my issue is that there is a section on the form asking for Building Regs compliant number - is this section only relevant if G3 guy doesn't inspect?

It means if not fitted my qualified person a building control officer can sign it off

Whether you have a ticket or not you must inform building control that you intend to install an unvented cylinder. Before you fit it ! They want BBA cert numbers and installers details etc

Whether you have a ticket or not you must inform building control that you intend to install an unvented cylinder. Before you fit it ! They want BBA cert numbers and installers details etc

Well they don't where I am

My experience in Hertsmere was getting through to someone who still talked about Corgi, who then transferred me to someone who said I need a Gas Safe man to do the work and when I suggested that there is a seperate qualification I was put on hold for what seemed an eternity and was then told that they didn't need to be informed so long as someone correctly qualified signed it off. The mind boggles.

Yes this work requires a building regulation compliance certificate. You can pay building control to do the necessary compliance but must use a qualified person to install the unit, or you use a qualified installer who is registered with a competent person scheme and can therefore self certificate this work through the scheme and get a compliance certificate. Authorised schemes: APHC, BESCA, CORGI, ELECSA, GSR, HETAS, NAPIT, NICEIC, OFTEC, STROMA. For further information follow the link http://www.communities.gov.uk

Our local BC dont know what to do with the notifications we send them !! An adjacent local authority do know what to do with them they even querried a BBA cert No. I had given , I had put a wrong digit in , so they had checked it .
It is a legal requirement to notify them

Thanks - I checked this guy out on Gas Safe and it says that he is qualified for unvented cylinders. I just popped his number in on the website and all his info came up. So he has self certified, so the question is do I need a copy of the compliance certificate and how do I know that he's bothered to get one?

Contact Gas Safe and ask them if its been notified. They always send a certificate to the customer if it has been. So if you have not recieved one it is likely that it has not been notified to them or lost in the post.

If the installer has not give him the option to do so its a legal requirement to get the compliance.

I am not surprised LABC don't know what there doing. I have inspected many installation on new build which have been signed off by LABC and they have missed obvious faults with the installs.

Thanks Reg Man. Once I contact Gas Safe and found out that it hasn't been notified -what will happen? Can they ensure that their member does get the compliance?

Contact Gas Safe and ask them if its been notified. They always send a certificate to the customer if it has been. So if you have not recieved one it is likely that it has not been notified to them or lost in the post.

If the installer has not give him the option to do so its a legal requirement to get the compliance.

I am not surprised LABC don't know what there doing. I have inspected many installation on new build which have been signed off by LABC and they have missed obvious faults with the installs.

Why would an unvented cylinder need to be notified to gas safe?

Because they run an approved scheme for Installation or replacement of hot water and heating systems G3 as well as the gas registration. Authorised schemes: APHC, BESCA, CORGI, ELECSA, GSR, HETAS, NAPIT, NICEIC, OFTEC, STROMA. For further information follow the link http://www.communities.gov.uk If you have a few minutes look at the link, it's quite an eye opener. Unfortunately I get the feeling that there is much that is not being notified.

Thanks Reg Man. Once I contact Gas Safe and found out that it hasn't been notified -what will happen? Can they ensure that their member does get the compliance?
Go to your building control office and complain to them. LABC do have the power to prosecute (a bit extreme for a bit of paper). You could complain to Gas Safe, but I am not sure they will be that inerested unless you tell them the gas installation work is dangerous. Hopefully for the sake of a couple of quid and a phone call, the installer will see that it makes sense to just get on with it and notify the work.
I take it the jobs all paid up. The other route is breach of contract. You could say the contract has not been completed because it has not been notified.

Thanks Reg Man. It seems that Gas Safe have some interest - on their website when putting in Mr Gas Safe's number it shows that he is qualified for unvented. I'll talk to them.

well i must be doing it wrong then!!

It is a requirement to notify LBC 48 hours prior to installation and then you can notify through the competent person scheme. My experience though is that the LBC couldn't give a monkeys. Sad but true! Its ok to have a potential bomb installed but just try and dig up your front garden for a drive, they jump all over you. I think its a case of ignorance is bliss, if they dont know about it then things tend to slide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Do I need to inform Building Control of new unvented indirect cylinder? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form to fill in what do u need to sign off in england as building control said they dont give out forms like they do in northern ireland
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock