Search the forum,

Discuss Damp patch next to WC pan, where is it coming from? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fred Bloggs

Good afternoon all. Several weeks ago I noticed a damp patch either side of a close coupled Twyfords WC that we have in our shower room. I have been unable to determine where the dampness in the tile grouting on the floor is coming from. I have looked carefully on several occasions but I can't see any signs of a water leak from any fittings, the cistern or the connection into the soil pipe. I am completely stumped. I had though that the bottom of the pan must be porous but I have had this WC about 4 years now and the damp patch only started a few months ago. I have inspected the inside of the pan very carefully with a bright light to look for cracks or any other signs that could indicate a leak. I have even taken the cistern off and refitted it with new sealing washers to be 100% sure there is no leak from the cistern, but the damp is toward the front of the pan, not at the rear where a leaky cistern would cause damp to show. I am completely stumped, the only place the damp can be coming from the the pan but that would mean it must be porous after 4 years. Has anyone seen this before?

WC with damp patch.jpg

Thanks.

Regards.

Fred.

Could be a drip from pan connector or could be a hair line crack in pan

Could be a drip from pan connector or could be a hair line crack in pan
Thanks, no sign of any moisture further back so I'm tending to think a hairline crack in the pan is most likely. Close inspection inside the bowl with a bright light didn't reveal anything but it must be there I think.

Is it damp all the time or does it dry up if not used for a while

What I normally do is, dry all the toilet with tissue, so the toilet is completely dry, then flush toilet until you can see a drip from somewhere.

If no luck, only way to see if there is a hair line crack is to take apart and have a look under neath.

Is it damp all the time or does it dry up if not used for a while
I thought it would dry up while we were on holiday for two weeks, but it didn't. The size of the damp grout patch various a little but it is pretty much always there to a greater or lesser degree. If I force dry it with a hair dryer it comes back pretty soon after. There is no sign at all of actual free water oozing from under the pan, just the damp grouting shows. Thanks.

What I normally do is, dry all the toilet with tissue, so the toilet is completely dry, then flush toilet until you can see a drip from somewhere.

If no luck, only way to see if there is a hair line crack is to take apart and have a look under neath.
Thanks, it is not actually damp enough to wet a tissue, but drying it with a dryer it gets damp again within a day or so or overnight. (Sorry, I did misread your post.) I think I have to pull the pan out and buy a new one ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like the toilet, perhaps from boiling water being put down it, i.e. either way, I would have a look underneath.

either that or your connector to the toilet, or worse case scenario, leak underneath the floor from a pipe, i.e.

sounds like the toilet, perhaps from boiling water being put down it, i.e. either way, I would have a look underneath.

either that or your connector to the toilet, or worse case scenario, leak underneath the floor from a pipe, i.e.
Thanks, I think you are right. I think I will buy a new pan and just change it.

Shot in the dark idea..... any chance it might be condensation? Is the room prone to big large fluctuations in temperature ? I know it appears in one location only but you never know.
TerryH

Is there a heating pipe underneath or plumbed underfloor heating - or perhaps coming in from outside?

Thanks, we've thought of that, we keep the room well ventilated and we thought the damp patch would dry out while we were on holiday for two weeks, but it didn't. So I think I have a hairline crack in the pan as suggested here. It does seem really odd and from the inside of the pan there is no sign what so ever of a crack, hair line or otherwise. It's now a case of having ruled all else out so it must be a (small) leak from a small crack. I think.......

Is there a heating pipe underneath or plumbed underfloor heating - or perhaps coming in from outside?
Thanks, I've thought of that too. There are no pipes under that part of the floor, the ceiling below is bone dry and the outside wall is very sheltered and completely dry. Cheers.

Is it the only pan in the house or do you have another. Take the pan out put some water in it on a dry piece of floor and see if it gets wet underneath if it does its the pan if not could be something else.

Is it the only pan in the house or do you have another. Take the pan out put some water in it on a dry piece of floor and see if it gets wet underneath if it does its the pan if not could be something else.

Yes no point just changing pan if that's not the problem

Good points, we do have another one we can use. I am not sure Mrs Bloggs will let me do that (she's a bit fussy like that) but it is worth thinking about for sure. Thanks.

Just persuade her that some very informative people have advised you to do it and if you dont do it youll make her pay for the new pan :)

Hello Fred and welcome had a similar problem once took pan out dried thoroughly placed on some cardboard put some water in and checked every 10 mins or so nothing then my pal turned up and sat on it jokingly and after a few moments we noticed a damp patch on the cardboard put some drain dye in and he sat on it again we emptied it and turned the pan upside down and found a hairline crack showed up by the dye good luck with your problem regards turnpin:D

Try using some tissue paper to see if there's any wetness where the pan connects to the pan connector.

i had one once a pan was leaking inside its self i took the pan out side and put it on a chair
blocked off the exit hole and filled it with a hose then left it for an hour and the water leavel
didnt change but when i turned it upside down to empty it i notised their was water inside the casting of the toilet.... so the toilet was ok for a couple of flushes and then every time they flushed it the water came out from too little blow holes that were put in the casting when the toilet was made hope this helps

i'd check for visible signs of drips/leaks on other pipework too. under bath/basin etc, with it being a tiled floor any moisture will be 'sucked' between floor and tiles from capillary attraction. potentially your puddle could be coming up through the grout at a low point!

something to consider/rule out!

Thanks all for the various thoughts. At the moment, having discussed with Mrs Bloggs I think I'm just going for the nuclear option and buying a new pan. I can get one for £160 delivered and while I'd rather not spend it, I'm thinking that if I change it out I have the best chance of solving the problem in one hit with minimal hassle. Thanks again, it's been very helpful.

Thanks all for the various thoughts. At the moment, having discussed with Mrs Bloggs I think I'm just going for the nuclear option and buying a new pan. I can get one for £160 delivered and while I'd rather not spend it, I'm thinking that if I change it out I have the best chance of solving the problem in one hit with minimal hassle. Thanks again, it's been very helpful.

HOW MUCH!!!!!

pop down to wickes, £49.99

and im sure it wont cost £110 to drive to your nearest one.

Had this happen once and found it was a through bolted cistern and the washers round the bolts weew slack. Water was dripping from the cistern and running down the back of the pan onto the floor. Have you checked its defnintely not wet under the cistern or where the cistern meets the pan?

had this happen a few years ago,it was my lad aim was off:smug2:

Had this happen once and found it was a through bolted cistern and the washers round the bolts weew slack. Water was dripping from the cistern and running down the back of the pan onto the floor. Have you checked its defnintely not wet under the cistern or where the cistern meets the pan?
Thanks, I thought of this, so I had the cistern off a few weeks ago and renewed the rubber washers to make sure. It made no difference. Thanks.

had this happen a few years ago,it was my lad aim was off:smug2:
If it was a one off thing, I'd agree, but it has been damp like this for quite some time now, even when we were away on holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Damp patch next to WC pan, where is it coming from? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock