Search the forum,

Discuss Cutting PVC Pipe at floor level in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fraserok

Hello, Im researching the differant ways to cut a pipe (mainly PVC pipe) off at or below floor level in the UK

In the UK...
1. Do you need to cut pipes extruding from concretefor example in bathrooms and kitchen areas of buildings near or below theconcrete level?
2. How are these currently cut – with what tool(s)?
3. Is this task an issue with respect to time orsafety?
4. Would you purchase a tool that did this very quicklyand safely?
5. If desirable what would you be willing to payfor such a tool?

Thank you.

I have a worx multi tool, same as fein but cheaper. I once seen a you tube clip using string, put string over pipe, pull each side of the string back and forth, eventually the heat of the string melts the plastic and cut's through, or use a hacksaw blade without the handle. Easier with a multi tool.

what blades do you use with the multi-tools chaps? I've got a bosch pmf 180. don't know which blade would be less buggered up by using it cut plastic.

I got a blade set from ebay, the box they came in was the best thing about them. I haven't even worn a blade out as they keep breaking. Go with a brand name, need some myself

what blades do you use with the multi-tools chaps? I've got a bosch pmf 180. don't know which blade would be less buggered up by using it cut plastic.

Would the plastic bugger the blade? What would the concrete do to the blade then?

I have a worx multi tool, same as fein but cheaper. I once seen a you tube clip using string, put string over pipe, pull each side of the string back and forth, eventually the heat of the string melts the plastic and cut's through, or use a hacksaw blade without the handle. Easier with a multi tool.

With the muti tool- Is it difficult to access the pipe in confined spaces or if there are other pipes or a wall very close?

I use the wood and metal blades to cut plastic. I've also got a set of very narrow blades that lets me get in tight spaces. If I need to cut that close on rough concrete the tungsten carbide or diamond tipped blades don't get damaged although they are slower through the plastic.

If the pipe is redundant I'm inclined to smash it off with an old chisel.

got a bosch as well. to cut plastic just use whatever blade is in at the time. also seen the string thing though not used it yet.

I use a handsaw and bend the blade a bit :shades_smile: . Had the same £7 saw for plastic for the last 8 years.

Only reason I ask is I seem to remember someone on here saying never use your good hacksaw for cutting plastic as it ruins it. Don't know why it would but did stick in my mind.

Only reason I ask is I seem to remember someone on here saying never use your good hacksaw for cutting plastic as it ruins it. Don't know why it would but did stick in my mind.

Doesn't make any difference to a hacksaw but it dulls the blade on a handsaw - woodsaw. That is why you should always borrow the joiners. Keep yours sharp :wink:

I use the Fein as well, a cracking tool for this purpose. If the soil pipe is in hard to reach areas like internal boxing and I don't want to ruin the boxing, I just cut out the front of the soil pipe and then put the cutter through the back from the inside if that makes sense. Can be quite handy at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cutting PVC Pipe at floor level in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock