Search the forum,

Discuss cscs cards in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tjohnson

I have been in the industry for over 35 years and was laid off just before xmas. Since then been doing a bit of agency work but a couple of agencies have told me i have the wrong colour card. I have a green one and apparently i need a blue one, spoke to jib and am not entitled to blue one as i have no formal qualifications even though i am gas safe, was told to go back to college and obtain a nvq in plumbing! At 53 i dont really fancy doing that! I thought the cscs scheme was only to prove you had passed an
h & S test but now it is being used to judge your competence, experience and refs not good enough! Any ideas?

I would have thought they would accept proof of experience from previos employer

Just been on the website Plumbing Supervisor Registration Card and the gold card which I have was for Advanced Plumber is now Plumbing Supervisor which you can apply for if you dont have qualifications but have experience

"Issued to Plumbing Supervisors who hold suitable Level 3 or Level 4 NVQ/SVQ qualifications OR have equivalent site experience, and who can provide 2 endorsements from their employer/clients to support their application."

This is the way to go maybe?

Have already spoken in depth to jib, the window of opportunity for experienced worker cards expired a couple of years ago and there is nothing they can do for me, they suggested i write to them but I got the feeling she just wanted my off the phone! Just seem to be banging my head against a brick wall. Cannot believe gas safe and brilliant refs are not good enough for these agencies!! the cscs scheme has rendered me unemployable, as i said before thought it was only to prove you had passed H&S test not gauge your competance!

Had my card for a couple of years and never had to show it. That link above to there web site does suggest for the gold card they will accept experienced but not NVQed

Issued to Plumbing Supervisors who hold suitable Level 3 or Level 4 NVQ/SVQ qualifications OR have equivalent site experience, and who can provide 2 endorsements from their employer/clients to support their application.

That was for Industry accreditation (Grandfather rights). Now you have to undertake an NVQ 2 or 3 if you want to get a blue card.
I've never had to show my Gold card either, but Ive not worked on a lot of sites.

Having to go back to school after 35 yrs site experience is a joke IMO

Yeah, but they did have Industry accreditation open for a few years, i know guys who got their cards through it. Don't know why they changed the rules.

I think it is to proove that people working on sites, know what they are doing as well as knowing the health and safety issues.

I would write a very polite letter telling them the amount of experience you have, Gas safe details, application and references (as many as you can lay your hands on).

its got to be worth a try, an hour could make you some money. she may have been quite new on the phone and not really known her stuff, or even talking rubbish. don't give up yet.....

Thanks for all your advice, much appreciated looks like there maybe a way round this!!

Its a white card Issued to those who have NOT achieved a gas related NVQ/SVQ qualification.

Costs £30 or £85 if you want it quicker than 30 days.

My argument remains that if you have a C&G in a subject, been working in that industry continuously for 35 years why should you also need an NVQ.
Just another money spinner methinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to cscs cards in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock