Discuss Compression joints in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oldnorm

What is the correct way to make a compression joint? There are various views on whether sealing compound should be used or not. I want to replace a defective compression joint water valve which has 3 ports. From past experience, when I dismantle it the original tight fitting olives will remain in place. Should these be removed and new ones fitted. The valve is fitted in a very confined space which makes using a saw to remove olives difficult.
Help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Use one of these to remove the olive

demu5y4a.jpg

Where was leak from previously? Via the thread on the joint or around the pipe?

Do you mean the connection is a Tee piece?

hi oldnorm welcome to the forums. yes you can use sealing compound if you wish, or a couple of wraps of ptfe tape around the olives. how old is the fitting you are replacing? the reason i ask is that the thread may be different also the dimensions of the valve may be slightly different to the new one. can you post a picture of the offending article?

$(KGrHqJ,!rIFCirePmKwBQugGb!QGg~~60_12.JPG
ptfe on the olive jointing compound not used on portable water or use lock tight on the tread

Last edited by a moderator:
i've got that olive cutter. you can get jointing compounds that you can use on potable water.

There's a lot of nasty fittings going around made in a far away land where they eat fried duck heads and scorpions for snacks.
These fittings need a good smear of Water Hawk otherwise they will fail you.

But who is selling them phil so we can all buy some along with a tub of water hawk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Compression joints in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock