Discuss Combi boiler vent on roof freezing up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flo

We had a new condensing "VOKERA COMPACT HE" boiler installed a few years ago .unfortunately the company went bust so we can't ask them.the first winter the roof vent almost froze right up .the icicles hanging from the vent were extensive.the boiler never stopped working so I hoped it would if the vent eventually became frozen shut....is that correct .? Anyway during the last cold spell I decided to keep the boiler on low and on all the time but it didn't matter .the vented fumes still turned to water then froze over.i have no idea why nobody else in the street with a roof vent seems to have this bother and why doesn't the vents on other people's houses that are fitted on side walls have similar problems......

We had a new condensing "VOKERA COMPACT HE" boiler installed a few years ago .unfortunately the company went bust so we can't ask them.the first winter the roof vent almost froze right up .the icicles hanging from the vent were extensive.the boiler never stopped working so I hoped it would if the vent eventually became frozen shut....is that correct .? Anyway during the last cold spell I decided to keep the boiler on low and on all the time but it didn't matter .the vented fumes still turned to water then froze over.i have no idea why nobody else in the street with a roof vent seems to have this bother and why doesn't the vents on other people's houses that are fitted on side walls have similar problems......

Sounds like you're describing a vertical flue outlet yeh? I've noticed exactly the same on several condensing combi's. Down to the amount of condensate leaving the boiler and condensing as it leaves? Fumes evacuate differently from a vertical flue than from a horizontal. There's a larger surface area for them to condense on and I imagine this is where the water vapour forms in to droplets and gravity does the rest along with below freezing temperatures! The fume temps from conventional boilers are much higher and don't condense till they're away from the terminal.

Thankyou ,,,,,but I still am unsure if there is anything that I can do to prevent this from freezing up as in heating on all the time or intermittent or a different type of flue or re route the flue to outside wall.that would involve a long 3metre run of pipe which I have been advised against because iam told its meant to be the shortest route outside

Thankyou ,,,,,but I still am unsure if there is anything that I can do to prevent this from freezing up as in heating on all the time or intermittent or a different type of flue or re route the flue to outside wall.that would involve a long 3metre run of pipe which I have been advised against because iam told its meant to be the shortest route outside

I can't think of anything you could do to prevent this happening. Re-sighting the flue would be my thoughts too!

Could you take a pic of the flue outside and post it up on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Combi boiler vent on roof freezing up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock