Search the forum,
  • Thread starter NwBunny
  • Start date
  • Replies 7
  • Views 1K

Discuss clueless in Canada in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NwBunny

Hello, I want to have my aging electric heating system replaced with a circulating hot water one. I have been trying to understand these systems from reading what I can find online, but I think I have more questions now than before I began searching for answers.

I wonder if someone wouldn't mind being a dear and take a moment to answer a couple of, what I am sure are basic questions to answer for knowledgeable contractors such as yourselves.

First of all, I live in Canada and not the UK, but most of my searches lead me back to resources stemming from the UK, so it seems likely I might get quicker answers from a UK-based forum.

I have had a preliminary heat analysis done on my small(ish) home that determined my house leaks out 45k BTU per hour. Of all the hot water boilers I have read about, both information as well as reviews, I am sold on the Bosch line of boilers. However, one salesman was quick to inform me that because of the northern clime in which I live in I should go with the Bosch 151 without even taking the time to ask any details about my house. I thought at the time that seemed strange and the more I read the more suspect it becomes.

It seems that if my house loses 45k BTUs per hour in the coldest days of the winter, then why would I need a boiler that generates 130k BTUs on the high side and 35k on the low end?

Just because the whole house loses 45k BTUs on the coldest day of the year does not mean, and is unlikely even, if I am a smart girl (and I like to think I am) that I would actually heat the entire house to the same degree. But even if I did, wouldn't a boiler with a lot less BTU output than 130k be adequate for my scenario?

Even the Bosch 100 combi's lowest BTU output would seem to be a bit on the high side. From what I have been reading, it would seem that even 25k BTU output might cause the boiler in my scenario to "quick cycle" and thereby negate its efficient design as well as introduce unnecessary wear and tear.

But the combi 100 seems to be Bosch's smallest combi offering. Is that right? If so, I wonder with Bosch being number 1 selling boiler in the UK how it is that with the milder winters, by a far mark, than what we get here (-25 to -30 for weeks at a time is not uncommon), how is it the boilers are not over spec'd and "quick cycling"?

It is surely the case that I am simplifying matters too much and overlooking the obvious. So if someone would take the time to help me better understand how I can make this work while taking advantage of as much efficiency as possible in the process I would be eternally grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:
combi boilers are normally sized on the hot water demand.which will be much higher then the heating

What part of Ontario? Lived in Cambridge Ont for a couple of years.

You need to get a couple of experts in to give you advice. Make sure they are licensed and obtain the correct permits.

combi boilers are normally sized on the hot water demand.which will be much higher then the heating
I knew I must be overlooking something obvious. To be honest I hadn't given much thought how much extra BTU will be required for the hot water part.

But then how is it these boilers achieve the high efficiency ratings claimed if they will likely "quick cycle" because the hot water demand requires a BTU output that seems way over spec'd for general space heating requirements?

Maybe I will benefit more by keeping my space heating and hot water system separate? But I do like the idea of down scaling the hot water tank I now have. I wonder if there might be a middle ground here that might prove more efficient than the "combi" route, but still take advantage of somehow bringing the two similar system requirements together but maybe with a slightly little larger foot print than what a "combi" promises?

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew I must be overlooking something obvious. To be honest I hadn't given much thought how much extra BTU will be required for the hot water part.

But then how is it these boilers achieve the high efficiency ratings claimed if they will likely "quick cycle" because the hot water demand requires a BTU output that seems way over spec'd for general space heating requirements?

Maybe I will benefit more by keeping my space heating and hot water system separate? But I do like the idea of down scaling the hot water tank I now have. I wonder if there might be a middle ground here that might prove more efficient than the "combi" route, but still take advantage of somehow bringing the two similar system requirements together but maybe with a slightly little larger foot print than what a "combi" promises?

Modulation

What part of Ontario? Lived in Cambridge Ont for a couple of years.
It just goes to show how quickly this world continues to shrink, doesn't it? I went to uni in London, so not too far away. But I live in lake country now, about 20 hours NW of Toronto. I am closer to Winnipeg, Calgary even than Toronto.

Modulation
So if my house's BTU loss per hour is 45k, it seems maybe that a boiler's low level BTU output should be considerably less than this value and its high value a similar measure greater. If so, what Bosch boiler might adequately perform in this range to take greater advantage of its efficiency do you think?

And if I were go with a smaller capacity boiler could it still be used to keep a smaller auxillary tank for hot water heated so to a higher rated combi is not required for hot water supply?

Go to the Worcester boiler site they have a simple tool to work out what boiler should suit you. You state the heat loss but what is a smallish home in the uk a smallish home would be two bedrooms on bathroom, which is ideal for combination boilers, but if you have two or three bathrooms that is when it makes less sense to fit a combi.

If the heat loss on coldest days is 45k btu then 45k btu from a boiler would take almost for ever to warm up the house unless left on all the time (very expensive). By speccing a bigger boiler then house will warm up much quicker when needed allowing a lower overnight (or weekdays when house empty) temperature to save fuel and reduce heat losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to clueless in Canada in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock