Discuss Cleaning central heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

davevincent

Hello,

I'm a new user, amateur with little experience. To summarise, I've moved into a new house in the past year, the boiler has become very noisy, I'm planning to clean out the system and I was hoping for some general advice from people with experience.

The system is closed with a combi (Worcester 24i , fairly old model). The system had a very slow leak which we got fixed when we moved in a year ago - not sure how long the previous owner was topping it up. The system doesn't have any other leaks. The boiler has become v noisy over the winter - makes alarming bubbling, kettling and grinding/banging noises. I have have guessed this is due to limescale and metal oxides in the system. The water when bled is grey and leaves iron oxide deposits when dried. The radiators are all hot (although very slightly cooler at bottom than top) and the system is full with no air in any radiator. I want to see if I can sort the problem before I get a plumber/boiler man out.

My plan is to drain the system, flush out every radiator (there are 6) with a garden hose, refit. refill system and add a cleaner. Then flush again, refill and add inhibitor. I have seen conflicting ideas about the effectiveness of these cleaners. I was planning to try either sentinel X400 or Fernox F5, flush out then add X200 or F3.

Here are my questions: is this a good idea? what are the chances this will solve my problem? What are the chances or further leaks? What are the best products to use? If it doesn't work will paying for a powerflush work? Is my boiler racked off?

Any opinions gladly and gratefully received!!!

Your plan sounds OK - would leave the cleaning in a few days.

Would be easier and quicker to hire a power flush machine - HSS have on offer during February, I believe they will fix the price if paid for before offer periods ends, so you could probably just make it, and book the machine for when you are ready. Comes with all instructions and fittings.

I would circulate X800 for a few days then use the flush unit from HSS. It will be less work than humping all the rads outside!
See what the boiler sounds like after.

Thanks for the very helpful replies! Was quoted 44 quid for rental of the power flusher from HSS. Think i'll clean out a couple of the radiators anyway, whack in the restorer and leave for a week or two and think about the flush.

Again thanks, I hope the boiler gets over it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cleaning central heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock