Search the forum,

Discuss Class H plastic pipe not barrier pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bob the plumber

I've come across a few jobs over the years where houses have been piped in hep class H Single wall plastic pipe (not barrier)
the pipe work seems to encourage corrosion in the system and rapidly blocks up the circs, no matter what size of pipe.
have any of you experienced lads/ladies come across the same problems with this kind of pipe work. I can't seem to find any information on it online?
As far as I'm aware the pipe because it's single walled is semi permeable to air thus causing problems with rapid deterioration in the system?

Thanks

Iv seen it awhile ago where a rad would not hear up, traced it all back to some old hep pipe that must not have been barrier & it was just completely blocked solid... Very strange! I guess a house full of it would be in trouble lol!

I've done a couple of full house re-pipes about 3 years ago. The pipe work had only been put in 10 years prior to that. They were a right mess. Blocked solid, couldn't flush they were that bad. Can't believe your the only one who has come across it

It's not uncommon but normally goes along with badly designed, commissioned and inhibited system

There's been absolutely nothing wrong with the systems I've come across. The full re pipes were actually on sealed systems and combi boiler. And the most recent was an open vented fully pumped with expansion feed right in behind the pump all piped up as they should be.
Strange stuff.
I did hear recently that they were going to introduce a barrier alkathine pipe for running mains into houses because of the risk of them being semi permeable to gasses in the ground especially with the possibility of fracking in the future.
I might have dreamt that last bit but it seems to make sense???

It's not uncommon but normally goes along with badly designed, commissioned and inhibited system

Will keeping it properly Inhibited/bled keep it alive ...?
or as expected ..DOOMED
As its just an un-safe DIY that needs ripping out soon .
( without upsetting custard - who put it in )

Last edited:
best bet would be to rip it all out and start again,

Sometimes its just easier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Class H plastic pipe not barrier pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock