Search the forum,

Discuss Can you recommend a good make of taps please? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kaza

Hi, I am currently picking a new bathroom and currently looking at taps.

I currently have mira taps which are excellent, but they only make 2 designs. I am looking for a sink monoblock tap and I like the 4 hole bath / shower taps.

I have seen some tc bathroom ones at aqua bliss that I like, but am unsure of the quality as I want taps that will last, as the mira ones still look brand new after 7 years.

Thanks for any advice
Karen

hello Kaza,
there is usually truth in the statement of getting what you pay for.
companies that have spent years building up a reputation of supplying a quality product will want to keep it that way, and charge accordingly. there will be exceptions to this, but choice of design is with you

IMHO any taps you buy to day from the cheapest to the best will all be cheap tat certinetly not impressed with bristan,sagitarius iflo,eastbrook at the moment though i had a shock when i fitted a sink the other day cheap howdens make tap lemona quality was immense

IMHO any taps you buy to day from the cheapest to the best will all be cheap tat certinetly not impressed with bristan,sagitarius iflo,eastbrook at the moment though i had a shock when i fitted a sink the other day cheap howdens make tap lemona quality was immense

Thanks, was just looking at sagittarius thought they looked really nice?, are tc bathrooms any good.

thanks for your time
karen

I try to use Bristan, which dont seem to be as good as they used to be. Hans Grohe are good. as are Franke.

I wouldnt be surprised though if all the actual tap valves are all from the same source, so it doesnt matter if you buy cheap or expensive ones.

Agree what others are saying - even the better taps are not fantastic. You are best to look at & handle the taps if you can before buying & also ask suppliers their honest opinion (but don't just believe what they say!). Find out if you can get spare parts easily, ( mainly ceramic discs & handle bits). Some of the cheaper taps are ok. Avoid B&Q taps. TC bathroom stuff is probably sourced from anywhere. Have used their sanitary ware, but would avoid their taps.

I would just say go for well know brands that you know you will be able to get spares for in 5 years time, like ideal, bristan, mira as you mention ect

Wouldn't touch TC. Fitted one of their suites once and definitely wouldn't recommend.

Pegler, Hansgrohe and Grohe are probably the best . You get what you pay for.

Remember to make sure what you buy is suitable for your system (i.e. if you have gravity (i.e. cistern in loft) you can't use most mixer taps).

Last edited:
kaza, i agree with the general concensus that you get what you pay for. I prefer to use Bristan taps. They generally have a good range to choose from and have something for most budgets. The biggest selling point for me is the availability of spare parts if they are needed afterwards. If you can find a Bristan Prime installer in your area he/she should be able to help you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't touch TC. Fitted one of their suites once and definitely wouldn't recommend.

Pegler, Hansgrohe and Grohe are probably the best . You get what you pay for.

Remember to make sure what you buy is suitable for your system (i.e. if you have gravity (i.e. cistern in loft) you can't use most mixer taps).

Very good point. European taps and the cheap Chinese tend to have flexi connectors which the internal diameter can sometimes be as little as 4mm. You may also require 1/2" or 3/8/" male iron connectors to 15mm copper. I always seem to never have thee when fitting these taps - why dont they supply the darn things with a nut an olive instead of the ruddy female nut!!

Thanks for all your advice, I wanted a four hole tap and the only Bristan one I can find is the Chill and typically I dont like the sink tap that goes with it very much and for the 2 its nearly £600 eeek, I like the saggitarius arke, is that make any good?

Also another quick question, I have just read that chrome towel warmers rust from the inside and stainless steel is better, just wondered how essential this is or in most cases are chrome ones ok.

I really appreciate all your advice, thankyou.

Make sure you get the tap to suit your water pressure/flow rate.
I am currently looking for some for a customers bathroom, they worked fine before the boiler was changed for a boiler, now they have dropped flow rate, all other taops in the house are fine.

Make sure you get the tap to suit your water pressure/flow rate.
I am currently looking for some for a customers bathroom, they worked fine before the boiler was changed for a boiler, now they have dropped flow rate, all other taops in the house are fine.

I need taps suitable for low pressure, never thought choosing taps could be so difficult!

Also another quick question, I have just read that chrome towel warmers rust from the inside and stainless steel is better, just wondered how essential this is or in most cases are chrome ones ok.

Chromed steel towel warmers (which most of them are), are made of steel & brassed before chroming. There will be different quality in the chrome, or how it is done, I am sure on different makes.
Ordinary rads are just light steel, so towel rails should last ok if rust inhibitor in system. Maybe they can corrode below the chrome - like old car bumpers did, but they seem to last.
Stainless steel may be better. The old type, that were heavy brass were brilliant & lasted forever.

hi i work for a merchant and what's good, i find, depends on guarantees as much as anything, i don't do many design taps but we go for hans grohe and pegler taps but there are several other brands like deva. Avoid foreign brands just becuase whenever you need a part, e.g the head goes, the guts go or there is always an issue getting replacments parts and nothing standard will fit them even down to tap tails. Other good makes are bristan and ideal standard but they might not be what your after. I have noticed a lot of bathroom showrooms are using heritage - i hope that helps

good luck

Hello,

If you don't mind paying the price then you might want to take a look at "Cifial" or "Grohe".
Just be aware of if you require High or Low Pressure Taps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can you recommend a good make of taps please? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock