Currently reading:
Can TF1 filter be installed in flow pipe?

Discuss Can TF1 filter be installed in flow pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesky

Gas Engineer
Customer asked me to installed a filter, i had a look, i know it should be insalled in returen pipe, but this one it is very easy to install in flow pipe, if i do that how serious is the consequence? Just curious..

cheers

The whole point of a TF1 is to stop particulates in the system from returning to the boiler, Therefore if its on the flow its not preventing the heat exchanger from filling up with crud from the system

Fit it on the return if you can for reasons already mentioned.
TF1's are a PITA to work in because of their length. Use a magnabooster 2 or even a magnaclean instead.

I've been using the spirotechs cheaper and there brass none of this plastic crap

It is almost pointless to install a filter AFTER the boiler. Borders on cowboy job imho.

don't see the point in fitting it on flow as previously said you are not preventing the boiler from getting full of sludge, it will still catch stuff no doubt but won't be doing its job properly

Its not ideal, but its better than not being on the system at all.

I would say if you can fit it on the return under boiler ,then fitted on return further back !

been on the flow point less !!!!

Its not pointless though is it. These filters are designed to protect the whole system, not just the boiler. Yes in an ideal world, it would be on the return for best effect, but not every bit of dirt that passes through the boiler is instantly going to get stuck there. I would rather put one on the flow than not at all, if it wasnt possible to get it on the return.

to be fair i agree with mfgs, if you cant get it on the return fit it on the flow. its not ideal but will still catch the sludge.(although it will have to flow through the heat exchanger first)

For goodness sake just accept the fact that it is designed to go on the return to protect the heat exchanger of the boiler from particulates from the system I have no time for the TF1 either I wont fit them as I find them to restrictive and they have a problem of leaking, I always use Spirotecs especially on heat pumps.

the instructions normally state, recomend fitting on return before boiler but can be fitted anywhere on system. but the point is if you cant get it on the return its better on the flow than not there at all

next one will be can i fit it on the cold feed from the f&e as it always gets slugged up there:p:p;);):D:D

whats wrong with that? couple of 15mm reducers and your sorted ;) basically the original poster should just aplly a bit of common sense. if its only going to take 20 min work to put it on the return before the boiler do it. if its not possible to do(boxing in with tilling etc...) and somewhere else on the system is your only option,put it there (although not the cold feed as safegasinstall suggested :p )

just use a spirotesh is much smaller and can bi fit on horizontal run ! any way waist of time is this thread !

just fit it on the cold feed from the tank much easy and simple but never ever on the expansion overflow pipe !!!!!!

Its not pointless though is it. These filters are designed to protect the whole system, not just the boiler.
No they are not to protect the system, it is to protect the boiler when a system is not clean. The rads don't have a problem with bits going through them, boilers do.

I would rather put one on the flow than not at all, if it wasnt possible to get it on the return.
That is not the point. If you are a pro and going to do a job, do it right. I've got to see the firs system where a filter can not be put before the boiler.

Although they are primarily there to protect the boiler, better one fitted somewhere than not at all. They don't catch all the carp in one pass anyway so whether it is fitted to the return or not, if there is crud in the system, it will go through the boiler.
Still it should be on the return to give it more of a chance.

Even on the flow, they can pick up a hell of a lot of nastiness. Most of the nasty stuff will flow through the heat exchanger time and time again not getting caught if there were not a TF1/Magnawhatever. To have a TF1/Magnaclean or whatever on the flow while not optimal will still do a great job cleaning the system and protecting the boiler. To say they are pointless on the flow is simply not true. The manufacturers themselves describe the positioning on the return as optimal and the positioning on the flow as acceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even on the flow, they can pick up a hell of a lot of nastiness. Most of the nasty stuff will flow through the heat exchanger time and time again not getting caught if there were not a TF1/Magnawhatever. To have a TF1/Magnaclean or whatever on the flow while not optimal will still do a great job cleaning the system and protecting the boiler. To say they are pointless on the flow is simply not true. The manufacturers themselves describe the positioning on the return as optimal and the positioning on the flow as acceptable.
this exactly

This is an incorrect illustration. It definitely is fitted on the return.

Just had another look at this. This is a SPIROCOMBI. This is a different product to the SPIROTRAP MAGNABOOSTER.
The spirocombi is an air seperator as well as a fillter that should be fitted on the flow. Just to confuse people.
The magnabooster must be fitted on the return. It little more than useless on the flow

Last edited:
Well me personally will only be installing them on the return pipe for the reasons that I have previously stated. and If I find that any of the minions or loveslaves fit them on the flow theyre gonna get their butts kicked

Although they are primarily there to protect the boiler, better one fitted somewhere than not at all. They don't catch all the carp in one pass anyway so whether it is fitted to the return or not, if there is crud in the system, it will go through the boiler.
Still it should be on the return to give it more of a chance.
Understandwhat you are saying tamz, but fitting a spirotech magnabooster in particular on the flow would be near enough useless. By design they catch most of the crap by way of a vortex system, so must be fitted the way it was designed- On the return. I dare say other products such as the TF1 by design might work on the flow to a degree but as far as I am concerned it would be pointless and unprofessional to knowingly fit this in contradiction to the instructions

We had to fit one on the flow last year, after a decent powerflush on the system. The Magnaclean can be fitted on either and takes up less room so we use those unless we know we have 2.5m of pipework to cut into!

We had to fit one on the flow last year, after a decent powerflush on the system. The Magnaclean can be fitted on either and takes up less room so we use those unless we know we have 2.5m of pipework to cut into!

2.5M OF PIPE WORK TO CUT INTO ??????why not use spiro ?????

Understandwhat you are saying tamz, but fitting a spirotech magnabooster in particular on the flow would be near enough useless. By design they catch most of the crap by way of a vortex system, so must be fitted the way it was designed- On the return. I dare say other products such as the TF1 by design might work on the flow to a degree but as far as I am concerned it would be pointless and unprofessional to knowingly fit this in contradiction to the instructions

By design they capture most of their crap using a magnet!! This would work on the flow AND return. While obviosuly it is better on the flow, it is suitable on the return. Magnaclean's own instructions for these state that the return is 'best practice' and the flow is 'suitable'.

suitable (ˈsuːtəb ə l, ˈsjuːt-) adj appropriate; proper; fit

So given that people keep saying that the manufacturer specifically says not to, read again. Suitable means neither pointless, nor useless, nor love slave beating worthy..... ;)

Don't get me wrong, I would always install in the return if it is reasonably practical, but occasionally have (and will continue to) fit in the flow.

Imagine the rust particles are criminals. If they are allowed to shoplift once but are then caught and put away in (Adey) prison, they no longer commit crime. Surely better than leaving them to go round and round commiting more and more serious crimes while growing in number. While I'm sure it is better to stop them before they even commit a crime, it is these minor crimes that can cause no long lasting damage (passing once through the heat exchanger).

I'll get my coat.....:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can TF1 filter be installed in flow pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock