Search the forum,

Discuss Can radiators be piped in series? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm have 4 x 400mm wide radiators installed in a semi circle bay window. My builder has started to pipe them up in series with the outlet of the first radiator feeding straight into the inlet of the second and so on. I'm pretty sure that it won't work as the temperture drop across each rad (i'm presuming about 20 degrees) will leave the 3rd and 4th rad barely warm. Can anyone confirm if this is correct? I'm pretty sure each rad needs its own feed directly off the main. I don't want to have to wait for it to fail before getting him to re pipe it.

I'm have 4 x 400mm wide radiators installed in a semi circle bay window. My builder has started to pipe them up in series with the outlet of the first radiator feeding straight into the inlet of the second and so on. I'm pretty sure that it won't work as the temperture drop across each rad (i'm presuming about 20 degrees) will leave the 3rd and 4th rad barely warm. Can anyone confirm if this is correct? I'm pretty sure each rad needs its own feed directly off the main. I don't want to have to wait for it to fail before getting him to re pipe it.

Sack him. Get a plumber in to do it properly.

For once I've got to disagree with croppie.

I have done this a few times when linking rads that are next to each other. ( I presume you are doing this instead of getting a radiator bent to the shape?)

Normally, if they are fitted right next to each other I would connect the top and bottom of each rad, to the top and bottom, of the next rad. You would then have a valve at the furthest right and left ends of the connected rads.
This would in essence work as one long 1800mm radiator.

If the rads are spaced enough to get valves in all of them. Then the best course is to pipe it as a two pipe system and install valves on each rad. ( can look ugly if the rads are close though!)

Hope this helps.

What chalked says is correct however if he is a builder I bet he is doing this by guesswork rather than actually understanding what he's doing. Personally if space is adequate I would be piping it two pipe system every day putting a larger shaped radiator in there which looks much better

Last edited:
For rads to work as one, tops need to be interconnected. Two pipe connections to each, at skirting level. neater and sweeter. For aesthetics 3 or 5 rads will always look better than an even number, ( unresolved duality).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can radiators be piped in series? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock