Discuss Can i service my own boiler if am not gas safe registered in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Well, this seems to be a hard question to answer.

From the regs, it seems that i can, as long as i am not accepting any kind of payment for it.

It is when you start getting paid, that its illegal.

Also, i read that you have to be competent.

How do you define competent?

So, am i allowed legally to service my own boiler?

Regards

Mutley

If you service your own boiler then as I understand it your fine providing you are competent. However as there is no definition of competence then you may end up having to defend your actions in court.

I stress this is how I understand it, and I maybe wrong! One of the Gas Safe guys will probably have more info.

I would say that you should ask yourself if you really feel your competent though (no dig at you as I don't know your skills etc) but is it worth possibly endangering yourself or family?

As far as im aware you can service as many boilers as you want without being gsr as long as your competent and not being paid

Under regs you are correct if competent and doing for no financial reward you can work on gas BUT
There lies the problem who can say your competent
If you got acs and tickets to work on the appliance but don't have gas safe then IMO you can if not then no
BUT if you work on it and something goes wrong it won't matter you will be held responsible either way and most probably prosecuted
Your choice I know what mine would be

You can work on gas if you have the relevant qualifications. you dont have to be gsr if youre not profiting from it. but you must be qualified!

According to regs you don't have to be qualified, just competent - as there is no definition of competency that is where the problem lies!

Don't get me wrong, I don't think you should be touching gas without having the relevant training - I'm just stating what the regs state!

The ACS as we know it, is a competence based assesment procedure for candidates to complete to prove competence
Hence if you have your ACS you have proved competent

The ACS as we know it, is a competence based assesment procedure for candidates to complete to prove competence
Hence if you have your ACS you have proved competent

Yes the ACS could be used to prove competence but the regs don't say that. They just say you have to be competent - its up to you how you prove you are competent.

Yes the ACS could be used to prove competence but the regs don't say that. They just say you have to be competent - its up to you how you prove you are competent.

OR does the court have to prove your incompetent thats a whole lot harder to prove....

Well if you're not gsr I'm guessing you don't have the tools to properly service the boiler, so in the long run you'd be better getting a gsr engineer to do it

Is it really worth trying to save 50-70 quid for the sake of you or your familys saftey and how do u know that if you take it apart and find something how wi;ll u know if its right or wrong or if its a new condensing boiler do u have a combustion analyser to test the flue gases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can i service my own boiler if am not gas safe registered in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock