Discuss Can a faulty diverter valve cause random firing of boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Masood

Afternoon all,

Went to look at am EcoTEC Plus 831 today, customer complaining that rads get hot when DHW is run. Lo and behold, the flow pipe gets roasting hot when tap is opened, so I'm thinking diverter valve. Apparently BG changed this just over a year ago.

Then she tells me that the rads sometimes get hot at random times with no call for heat, or DHW. I checked whether warm-start is switched on, and it's definitely not. Could the diverter be causing random firing? I can't see how it would, but I'm happy to be corrected!

Also, I know on some boilers when the NTC stats are faulty, they kick the frost protection in at higher temps than they should. Anybody know if this happens on these boilers?

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
never trust a custard, but sounds like jammed diverter valve.

never trust a custard, but sounds like jammed diverter valve.

That would explain the rads heating when DHW demand is on, but how would that cause random boiler firing? Not saying I disagree, I just would like to understand the process by which that could happen..

Cheers!

a diverter valve should last longer than a year, something doesnt smell right,
i'd ask the customer when the problem started and after the new diverter valve was put in did it work for awhile or did it not fix it at all

a diverter valve should last longer than a year, something doesnt smell right,
i'd ask the customer when the problem started and after the new diverter valve was put in did it work for awhile or did it not fix it at all

Get her to check dates if less than 1 year get BG back.

Thanks guys. Whatever the BG guy did apparently didn't help at all, and it's definitely over a year.

But really, I know that the DV is faulty, what I'd like to understand is whether that can cause the boiler to fire randomly, and if so, how? This is purely to increase my own knowledge, as I can't see how, even if the DV is jammed open, any water could flow past either flow switch and trigger the burner, as there is no demand.

If this is not possible, then could faulty NTC stats be triggering frost protection at much higher temps than designed, the way they do on other makes?

Oh, and final question - is it possible to strip down and service these DVs? The merchant says they don't do a service kit like they do for other boilers, but a new DV is pricey and she doesn't have a lot of money...

it sounds like the dv or dhw flowswitch if it has one fitted got a mi,s on it you can post up not familer with this boiler

a customer who wont pay and a difficult time consuming problem to fix. not a good combination

a customer who wont pay and a difficult time consuming problem to fix. not a good combination

Not a case of won't pay, she has always offered to pay, never quibbled over anything. I just know she hasn't got a lot, and for reasons I won't bore you with, I want to help her out..

Why isn't British gas still involved?

Because she has lost faith in them. Also, as it's over a year, it's out of warranty...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can a faulty diverter valve cause random firing of boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock