Discuss Broken and cracked sewerage pipe in the garden - options? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although painful to rip up a newish patio should also come up easily enabling the paviers to be relaid at significantly less than the original cost of installation, replace as much pipe as possible.

Thanks a lot for your replies guys.
You've convinced me to go for the replacement option.

As I said before, I'm reulctant to break about 5m of newly laid sandstone patio. When the drain survey done last week, they said this section of the pipe was fine.
So we are going to keep this section and join it up a new plastic pipe which will run to the Inerceptor manhole.
Anyway the contractor said he'll stick the camera down to see if it's fine before carrying on with the work.

I've already emailed him and asked about building regs and pea shingles to support plastic pipe. I've also asked for the material of the pipe.

thanks.

I just spoke to the contractor. He said as this is not a new drain (only a replacement pipe for a damaged section), I don't need a building control certificate. But he said he didn't have any problems me arranging it and he'll be doing the work according to building regulations and yes he will have pea shingles to support the pipe. I am not going to bother as this is going to delay things and it's going to cost a couple of hundred pounds.

I just spoke to the contractor. He said as this is not a new drain (only a replacement pipe for a damaged section), I don't need a building control certificate. But he said he didn't have any problems me arranging it and he'll be doing the work according to building regulations and yes he will have pea shingles to support the pipe. I am not going to bother as this is going to delay things and it's going to cost a couple of hundred pounds.

I could believe if you were just replacing a straight length of sewer, that no need to notify building control, but you said there are bends to be done entirely different and other things. So I would say building control would need to inspect it all. Remember you need it to new regs where possible - rodding points for every run and bend, junction.
Simple way to find out for free, - just ring your local building control and ask to speak to building inspectors. I doubt if it would cost ÂŁ100s for an inspection.

It's just a straight pipe between the 2 manholes and no bends.

There is a separate issue with the interceptor manhole but I'm not getting that replaced or anything. Contractor going to pressure hose it and said he'll stick his down there to see if he can find any rocks or any other hard stuff. and go from there.

If building control are involved cost paid by insurance company. Check with Loss Adjuster.
Building notice submitted online, Inspector on site within 48 Hours, minimal delay.
This is a very straight forward job, although being London, parking, access and disposal will probably double the cost.

Don't be scared of Building Control, they will be on your side and prevent shoddy or incorrect workmanship and materials also,as said cost will be recovered from insurance. A quick call will establish the need or not. Average charge is ÂŁ150 for 2 inspections and all the application is done on line, site attended within 48 hours, however advice over the phone or face to face is free. Ultimately the decision is yours, ÂŁ150 versus ÂŁ5000 fine and a big mess to clear up if it all goes wrong.

I rang Hounslow council earlier and told them about the repairs to drains. He said it was a grey area and it was up to me whether to apply or not. He said I could apply for a building control notice and then start the work tomorrow then tell them couple of days before they are about to backfill so they can come and inspect.

I was going to apply for the building control notice and I emailed the contractor. He told me he's had lots of delays with building control people in the past and that he'd have to charge a penalty fee if the building control guy doesn't turn up or is delayed.
I can understand that he doesn't want his work being held up.

I am now not sure whether to apply for this or not especially considering it's not really required by law.
If they charge me extra than what's quoted, Insurance might not pay the extra.

What do you guys think?

If you haven't already awarded the contract, engage another contractor. Jetting the interceptor is also suspect. Bung in rodding eye, water in manhole, plunge syphon, should leave clear, confirmed with flexible drain rod.(resembles spring). Normal soil water detritus can, if necessary, be removed from syphon, but broken pipe and arising's from intended works could block it solid. Ensure syphon is clear before and after works. I've had my fallout with building inspectors, but this job is so simple there is only one way to do it right. Reluctance for work to be inspected and one year warranty does not encourage confidence.

If you haven't already awarded the contract, engage another contractor. Jetting the interceptor is also suspect. Bung in rodding eye, water in manhole, plunge syphon, should leave clear, confirmed with flexible drain rod.(resembles spring). Normal soil water detritus can, if necessary, be removed from syphon, but broken pipe and arising's from intended works could block it solid. Ensure syphon is clear before and after works. I've had my fallout with building inspectors, but this job is so simple there is only one way to do it right. Reluctance for work to be inspected and one year warranty does not encourage confidence.

They are starting the work tomorrow so bit late to change now. The chap seemed good when he came around and they have really good reviews on checkatrade. As for the interceptor manhole, he didn't say he was gong to pressure hose it. He said he'd stick his hand in their and see what's in there while they are doing the other work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Broken and cracked sewerage pipe in the garden - options? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, a recent CCTV survey has shown 5-6 areas of large joint displacement along an area of drain 5 meters in length. One company has said to do...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing...
Replies
Views
We have a problem with a downstairs bathroom toilet. When flushed, the water in the bowl rises, as does the water coming up from the shower drain...
Replies
Views
Need some advice, neighbors sewer drain keeps blocking up every few months. My wife and I have always chipped in with the other three neighbors...
Replies
Views
Back