Discuss breakdown and repairs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call some one u know when your stuck. U want my 090 number £1.50per min! Learn how boiler works from diagram and fault tree it's easy after that. Also use the mfrs installation and servicing manual as they almost all have fault trees. Or do and I do and get in tune with the boiler soul!

Ask the customer over the phone what make and model the boiler is and a brief description of the fault. if youre unsure, research it a little o you know what you're up against a bit more when you arrive at the job

All really helpful replies, was thinking repairs and maintenance as I want to study electrical engineering two days a week

ask them over the phone for a make and model and the answer i bet will be "ummmmm ...... its white , does that help" also when you ask for M.I they can never find them! i belive that an ipad with an app for all the M.I is the way forward, connect to the property's wifi and you could even post it up on here whilst still at the job, or search the web for the technical helpline number ect ect!!!! then once your finished you can do the invoice in the van and list all the parts you have used to the job! defo the way forward for breakdown engineers imho!!

[DLMURL="http://www.gasinstallersworkmate.com/index.php/2011/10/gas-installers-workmate-mobile-boiler-manuals/http://www.gasinstallersworkmate.com/index.php/2012/04/gas-installers-workmate-mobile-fires-cookers-and-stoves-edition/you"]Boiler manuals and fire manuals software - Kane Flue Gas Analyser Products - Gas Installers Workmate[/DLMURL] can also get them for the gas rates and for the ventilation req!! another app for the invoice making, list everything you have used and the labour time so the invoice is done on site, email them to your home computer and make the wife print them out at night and post them out! could also get an app to do your timesheets ect!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is how i leaned (before internets and mobile phones).
Sit and follow the fault finding bits at the back of the books, scratch your head because they will probably never lead you to the simple fault.
Give up in frustration and say you'll call back tomorrow.
Nip in to see one of the guys i knew who did breakdown all the time and see what he is doing the next night.
Take him to the job and he fixes it straight away and tells me why and what to look for.
I pick up the £100 for the work and pay him £80.
You pay for your lessons one way or the other.
Do you think British gas would let me go with one of their engineers if I work for free? Sounds like a long shot but maybe one of u lot know something /someone I don't .

:rofl::rofl: very good.
Better applying for a job with them. Chances are you might get in as you will be as good as some of the idiots who now work there.
They however have the advantage of a lead engineer on the end of the phone to talk them through things.

Also a van of "free" parts think they have David Bowie "changes" playing in vans on loop to brain wash them!!

if your stuck for old boiler manuals and you've got an iPhone i bought this really good app the other day, think its called gas workmate or something like that, its got every boiler manual you'll ever need, really good investment i thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to breakdown and repairs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one...
Replies
Views
I have a green star ten yrs old keeps increasing pressure, feel on off filling valve not working, drain off to recommended, but after few days...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock